PPC and Chipscope?

I am starting a new design using V4FX parts. I have only one JTAG connection so far. Is it possible to simultaneously run the debugger and a chipscope session so I can debug problems between the micro and the fpga fabric? If not, do I need a second JTAG and how do I wire it?

Thanks, Clark

Reply to
Anonymous

Anonymous schrieb:

when you generate the EDK project there is a radio button to choose the PPC debug port to be connected to FPGA logic. just select that option and connect the PPC jtag pins to ios. It is is also explained in the Xilinx documentation.

Antti

Antti

Antti you are right: Chipscope and XMD or IMAPACT cannot work in the same JTAG port. Adding another PPC jtag core can work if the sotware is able to destinguish between the two cables - manual cable selection is a must.

Guru

Reply to
Guru

I use ChipScope and XMD simultaneously from the same JTAG port all the time.

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

time.

What version of ISE are you running?

Reply to
Anonymous

Joseph Samson schrieb:

Hi Joe,

sod YOU can arm Chipscope trigger (lets say OPB_IBA on address match), and then start XMD JTAG download or lets say write to some address and you see chipscope triggering on that address !? - this like work setup isnt possible with single JTAG port ASFAIK, or am I wrong here?

Sure the PPC and chipscope can co-exist without little problem, but their way of JTAG sharing is not complete IMHO - because XMD and chipscope are developed with different Xilinx branches having intercommunication problem - the lower level JTAG drivers for XMD and chipscope are different so 2 clients can not successfully communicate over the same JTAG

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Here is my usual scenario - say I'm debugging my memory controller. I have a ChipScope set up to look at the appropriate signals. I set up the trigger and arm the ChipScope. I go to my XMD window and write to an address (XMD> mwr 0xc0000000 0x00000001, for example). The logic starts up and eventually Chipscope triggers and I look at my signals. I have only used the PLB_IBA once or twice, but I don't think I used the XMD in those cases (debugging a Linux problem).

I'm running Windows XP, and I've done this with 7.1i and 8.1i.

--
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

Joseph Samson schrieb:

hum interesting, I really assumed that type of triggering does not work with single JTAG port being used. But I dont recall what version was the last one I checked.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

You are wrong. (I used to think this too, but I was wrong as well.)

XMD and chipscope are 100% happy to live on the same JTAG chain and cable connection. I do this all the time (now that I know it works).

However, iMPACT (the programming tool) does not seem to coexist nicely with either of them...

Cheers,

-Ben-

Reply to
Ben Jones