EDK 8.2, MDM, and ChipScope....

Alright....here we go.

I was working with an EDK 8.2 project that had both an MDM module and ChipScope connected. ChipScope was working fine. I then tried to go debug some software and started XMD. It failed to connect. Since this was just an EDK 7.1 ported project (that was known to work) I started to look in the Answer Database for clues. It ends up there was an Answer that said to update the mdm core to 2.01.a (it had a link) and change the '.opt' file associated with the XMD (that opt file is in the /.../etc folder). Ok, my mdm core was 2.00.a so I thought at least I am on the right track since I am upgrading. So I rebuild the project. Lo and behold, XMD connects and I am able to debug software.

After figuring out software I wanted to start ChipScope and look at some stuff. Unfortunately, ChipScope no longer detected any cores. WTF?!? It was working fine!! So I end up setting the mdm core back to

2.00.a and rebuilding. After that, ChipScope worked fine as before. XMD connects no problem. However, the debugger does NOT work now. It opened and I hit 'Run'. It started, but never hit any breakpoints. And it SHOULD have. So basically, I cannot get to a point where ChipScope and the mdm work together. I looked in the Answer Database again, but could not find anything that would address both these issues.

In older software versions there was no problem with this as long as you remembered to tell ChipScope that an mdm module was in the system. This parameter is now 'Auto Computed' in the EDK 8.2 (which I can not stand compared to 7.1!). In the process of all of this I installed the latest Service Pack, so I am as updated as possible. My team is getting VERY TIRED and FRUSTRATED using these Xilinx tools that seem to break things left and right when there is an upgrade. Why in the hell was the EDK basically redesigned when it just be nicer to have software that works? Seriously, I could see people jumping ship on Xilinx products with all the pain and hassle of getting known good projects back up and running whenever there is a software upgrade.

I am using an ML401 eval board that uses the Virtex4 LX25 FPGA.

Thanks.

Reply to
motty

motty schrieb:

if you have LX25-ES then you can not use chipscope and MDM due to the silicon errata, as only USER1 is working so MDM and chipscope just can not co-exist in LX25-ES silicon

Antti PS on your comments about software quality I stand your side fully. FRUSTRATION

Reply to
Antti

Is there a source for an explanation on what the USERX registers do in the JTAG Configuration? I found the configuration guide, but that doesn't seem to explain it much with regards to the MDM and ChipScope. Thanks for the help!!!

Reply to
motty

Is there a source for an explanation on what the USERX registers do in the JTAG Configuration? I found the configuration guide, but that doesn't seem to explain it much with regards to the MDM and ChipScope. Thanks for the help!!!

Reply to
motty

"motty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

they are used to "bypass" the data from JTAG into FPGA fabric xilinx FPGAs before V4 has all 2 USER instructions V4 and V5 have 4 and unfortunatly the very first LX25 ES silicon has only USER1 working, eg USER2, USER3, USER4 are not working so you can have 2 clients in LX25-ES

hence no chance to have CS and MDM in LX25-ES

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

"Antti Lukats" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:el71of$oog$ snipped-for-privacy@online.de...

MDM uses normally USER2 and "exports" USER1 signals for chipscope

the MDM 2.01.a is not a new verson its a PATCH version that is only for LX25-ES it uses USER1 for MDM, and nothing for chipscope

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats