debugging ppc + mb

Hi all, I would like to debug a system containing a microblze and a ppc405. I'm using the xmd (gdb) for both of these units. I have a single mdm unit and a jtagppc (a single jtag interface). Is there a way to debug both of the processors simultaneously (via two GDBs). Thanks in advance, Mordehay

Reply to
me_2003

Just connect to the two processors in XMD via two separate connect commands. XMD will open up a GDBServer port for each processor. Connect a GDB session each to the GDBServer ports. You are all set to debug the two processors simultaneously.

Be aware of the default system reset performed by XMD upon download of a program. You can use the debugconfig command to change this behavior, if it is destructive for your simultaneous debug sessions.

Reply to
Vasanth Asokan

You shld be able to do this - using xmd, connect to both CPUs:

% connect mb mdm % connect ppc hw

you may need to add other options to each connect statement, depending on your FPGA and JTAG setup etc.

This sequence would make the MB target 0, and the PPC target 1

xmd should then be listening on two different ports, one for the mb, and one for the ppc.

Since xmd tends to allocate ports from 1234 upwards, my guess is that the mb will be on port 1234, and the ppc on port 1235 - the actual port no's will be printed by xmd after each connection is made.

Then, start each gdb, issue a target command

target remote localhost:1234 (for microblaze)

and

target remote localhost:1235 (for the ppc).

Some minor details may remain for you to work out, but this is an overview of the process

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Hi John, Thanks for your detailed answer. Another little thing - can the mdm & jtagppc live together ? how does the jtag chain looks like ? Thanks again, Mordehay.

Reply to
me_2003

Yes, I believe so.

MDM connects to the user1 port on the FPGA's JTAG chain, while the JTAGPPC should insert the PPC as its own device in the chain. I'm not certain of the exact order, but xmd should take care of that detail.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams