Potential problem w/EDK's Microblaze and the Spartan-3E Starter Kit?

Hello,

I've recently acquired a Spartan-3E Starter Kit (RevD) and am new to the world of FPGAs and logic design. I've been experimenting with EDK trying to get a test design working on my board when I ran into a problem. I can use the wizard to create a simple MicroBlaze design with a small amount of cache and a DDR SDRAM memory controller that builds and downloads to the device without a problem.

However, when I attempt to run the either the memory or peripheral test applications, built in the TestApp_(name) folders, the debugger reports a pipeline stall. The memory testapp reports the stall when the PC is at 0x000004bc. I investigated the contents of this address and its the LWI opcode. The peripheral test stalls at 0x22000000, which contains a zero.

Pastebin link to memory test:

My question is: should I be concerned at all that my wizard-create microblaze configuration isn't working? I have a feeling its not a drop-in and go type of deal, and I need to modify the HDL, but the fact that everything worked fine until the design actually ran real software has me a bit paranoid that perhaps my board is defective somehow.

I am really just looking for something that would let me test out the board's capabilities, so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Reply to
jrbattin

get some working reference design and proceed from there the wizard generated systems dont always work

you find some designs at xilinx website and

has an uclinux ready MB system design for the se3sk board

Antti

Antti

Not written for the S3E starter kit but might be useful is our EDK lab here

John Adair Enterpo> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John Adair

the OP had issues with DDR RAM, I dont see any help for that issue at your pages, or do you?

Antti

Antti

I know that memory address for OPB_DDR is not generated properly for rev D board. Rev D board has 64MB of DDR, but the address is set to

32MB (as for rev C)! Edit manually the system.mhs at opb_ddr, for example: PARAMETER C_MEM0_BASEADDR = 0x22000000 PARAMETER C_MEM0_HIGHADDR = 0x23ffffff

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is definatelly an error produced by BSB.

Cheers,

Guru

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to