Post-synthèse simulation

Hello,

I want to run a post-synthesis simulation. I don't find where to choose the sources (Netlist post-synthesis) to launch the needed simulation from ISE 13.3.

Does someone know how to do it ? I need some help.

Simulator: ModelSim SE-64 10.0d Xilinx tools: 13.3

Molka PhD student

Reply to
molka

Why do you want to do this? I have never had a reason to do this and my designs have all worked just fine. Just do a behavioural sim and ensure your design passes timing and you will be ok.

Jon

maxascent

One scenario that comes to mind is to avoid annoying problems where the behavioural models are broken. See this thread about the Xilinx FIFO core:

Joel

Reply to
Joel Williams

I would qualify that you should run full simulations on RTL, run STA with complete and accurate timing constraints on the design, and then run a subset of your simulation post-P&R. If you have any non-timing issues PPR, then you might try a post-synthesis simulation to isolate the problem to synthesis or P&R. One of the issues not caught by behavioral simulation plus STA is the accuracy of false- and multi- cycle-path constraints. If you use these in STA, they need to be verified by PPR simulation.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

core:

The correct workaround for this problem is to generate Structural FIFO models, and use them in your pre-synthesis simulations. AFAIK, all the Behavioural FIFO models are broken.

I can think of other reasons to do post-PAR simulations, for instance if you have a tricksy start-up sequence involving multiple clocks.

RCIngham

From within ISE13.3's Project Manager, having a VHDL project: Select the "Design" tab In the Hierarchy pane (upper area) select the top-level unit of your design

In the Processes pane (lower area), expand "Synthesize - XST" and double-click on "Generate Post Synthesis Simulation Model"

This generates a folder within your project named netgen/synthesis and within this folder, there is a file named _synthesis, where is the name of your project's top level VHDL file.

This file must be compiled with ModelSim, together with your testbench. I'm not sure what is necessary to launch ModelSim directly from ISE, because I'm always using separate scripts for ModelSim.

regards Guenter

guenter