Portable computer for FPGA/CPLD tools

Hello,

I would like to know if someone have evaluated the performance with FPGA software tools of the new Intel Centrino Processors compared with the Intel Mobile Pentium 4. I would like to buy a portable and I don't know which processor is better (more performance for EDA Tools). I would appreciate any recommendation on Processors and Portable Manufacturers.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Javi

Reply to
javid

Hi Javi,

The memory RAM and RAM managment will be more important feature for your next portable computer.

Make sure your DDRAM is not shared with Video Card !!!

Make sure to have a minimum 512MB DDRAM.

FOR synth and Place and Route the RAM is very important.

Regards, Laurent Gauch _________________________ www.am> Hello,

Reply to
Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

Hello Javid,

I recently bought a new laptop, centrino 1.5GHz, 512MB DDR and it works great with the Xilinx Webpack 5.2. I notice some performance difference with my desktop pc (P4 2.8GHz, 768MB DDR) but nothing to worry about, for me at least, since I only do designs for the Spartan IIe 200k on it ;-)

As synthesis and route and place algorithms coonsume a lot of memory, I think that would be your major concern, depending on the designs you do, you may be better of with a centrino and 1024MB RAM than with a P4

3.06GHz with only 512MB...

Kind regards,

Yves

Reply to
Yves Deweerdt

I agree with Laurent, RAM will be a major issue if you have large designs and you plan to do place & route on your latop. I'm not sure what size design you're planning to develop on your portable, but for our large Virtex/Virtex2 designs we loaded our desktops with 1GB of RAM. It was a bit of overkill and 512 MB would probably have been just right. The key thing to remember is if your place & route software has to use virtual memory, buy more RAM.

Yeah a lot of laptop have good specs, but poor design. Watch out for things that will cause a memory bottle neck. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of guidelines for you. Just remember that the system design is just as important as the speed of the CPU and the ammount of RAM.

Theoretically speaking, the memory system on laptops might be such a bottleneck in laptops that the speed of the CPU might not be as critical. But I have no experience or evidence of this, so take it with a grain of salt. Just something to think about.

Regards, Vinh

Reply to
Vinh Pham