Did Intel screw up big time by selling its embedded processors?

I still think Intel screwed-up BIG time when they sold their embedded CPU's (StrongARM, XScale) to Marvell. The idea was that future devices would be more and more like PC's and that these should therefore have a 'real' Intel x86 processor. Now, several years later, it seems like Intel made the wrong decision and is paying dearly for it. None of the newest mobile phones use an Intel processor, and ARM continues its reign there, as the Intel embedded devices.

In the article, some Intel bloke is bitching that the iPhone should have had an Intel processor instead of ARM. But the x86 is totally unsuitable for battery powered handheld devices, and laptops using Intel processors rarely work more than 2 hours if they are used under normal office working conditions.

I liked StrongARM and XScale, but Intel foolishly thought they could force OEM's to use Intel processors in their devices. Wrong!! It looks they are going to lose marketshare and become also-rans in the new netbook segment. Already, some netbooks are popping up which use non-Intel Chinese MIPS processors and Intel's foray into the embedded market is bound to falter.

Anyone agree with me that Intel made a mistake selling their embedded processors?

Reply to
Anonymous Remailer

[...]

processors?

Nope. If you read that carefully, they are attacking the market from two different directions. Intel is Morphing the PC into something much more mobile, and the Phones are morphing into Web-Browsing, video playing systems.

Intel's pathway give you the phone second, it comes almost for free, whilst the other direction start as a phone, and morph towards something more. Of course, the Elephant in the room, NOT mentioned at all, is Power and battery life.

Keep in mind, the processors we know about in the public domain, are not the same as what intel is showing the phone and ultra-portable designers for 2009 design wins. By all reports, Intel's Atom is doing very well.

eg: this claim ["The overall processor market rose 14 per cent during the third quarter, and 15.4 per cent on the year, to reach a value of $8.3bn (£5.25bn). Much of this growth was down to strong demand for Intel's Atom processor which registered shipment growth of nearly nine per cent. "Not considering the effects of Atom, the overall market still grew at a decent pace in the third quarter," ]

Notice that Apple changed from PowerPCB to Intel CPUs because of Intel's R&D muscle and roadmap. - and managed that transistion surprisingly well.

Expect Apple to have an ultra-portable product with an intel CPU.

Plenty of room for both CPUs and differing applications morphs.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Absolutamente! You just mentioned the very reason why I and lots of other people hold their wallets closed when it comes to "mobility". A device that cannot rival the old Casio portable "type writers" that could run weeks on a few AA cells just ain't worth it IMHO.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm finding myself tempting by an Eee PC at the moment, but battery life is the one thing holding me back. For all its limitations my

10 year old Newton's 30 hour battery life means that it is genuinelly mobile. Of course, if the batteries do happen to run out when you are out and about you simply pick up a set of AA alkaline cells from pretty much any newsagent or filling station - something you lose out on when it seems every mobile device out there has its own proprietrary rechargable battery.
--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Same here. I would have bought one a long time ago but the battery runtime is paltry. I do not see any benefit versus a low-end Dell where there always seems to be some $399 deal.

That's the other issue I'll never understand. You can get nice 2600mAh NiMH, even some with low self-discharge. But no, everyone must have their own variety. I bet nobody in those companies ever tries to figure out how much in sales that is costing them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I also keep on wondering why so many market segments ignore those amazing 2.6 Ah NiMH cells available nowadays. The camera market seems to have enforced them on the industry; some of the top-class zoom cameras (I just watch only that segment) tried to go vendor specific Liion at a moment but went back to AA cells. I guess because being unable to replace your camera is understood as unacceptable by at least one vendor and the rest have followed the market success.

Didi