MGT

Hi all,

I am trying to use a Aurora Core and MGT transceiver to get high Speed serial transmission signal out. I have run into several problems..

One problem is getting the Aurora Core simulated... I generated a core using the core generator with the following settings. Streaming, Simplex -Both directions. I tried to simulate the design using the given tb and the do scripts. The clocks are toggling..but there is not data being transferred.. I tried several versions of the aurora 2.4, 2.6, 2.7, 2.7.1.. Still the same issue.. Do_CC is also not asserted. so idle signals are not being sent... Is there something I am missing...

Also I need to send the high speed signal out to to RF unit... So there is no initialization signals being sent back.. And tx_d_ready signal from the receiver. The initialization can be probabaly set by the sender side.. but how does the tx_d_ready signal assrted from the GT_Aurora primitve. FPGA Board - Xupv2p FPGA - XC2VP30 My setup is ISE 9.1i Sp3.

Thanks,

Cheers Shakith

Reply to
shakith.fernando

Shakith,

On simulation issue you need to have support for swift models in your simulator, although personally I think there is very little value in simulating MGTs if you are going to use one of the standard cores such as Aurora.

WRT initialization, read carefully the chapter on Simplex Initialization in the Aurora User Guide. The easiest to initialize are full-duplex channels. Simplex channels require either a back channel or tricks with using timers. I used the former method in my design.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks.. Yeah.. Managed to get simulation bug out of the way.. The problem was GT_custom, GT_aurora simulation libraries wasn't there in the modelsim. I downloaded the simulation libraries from Xilinx site. But it didn't include the those libraries. I used modelsim tocompile necessary libraries and load it in.

Regarding initialization, was reading that chapter...One question I have is, does the 1st MGT(sender for example) need to be linked to 2nd MGT(receiver for example) to be initialized. There must be some sort of handshaking mechanism there..So if i remove the 2nd MGT, what would happen to the link at the start...was trying to see the behavior in simulation..

Thanks,

Regards, Shakith > Shakith,

Reply to
shakith.fernando

Yes, the transmitter has to be connected to the receiver with the main link AND you either have to add another connection (back channel) or implement some other tricks, which I personally couldn't get to work in my design.

The simplest implementation of the back channel would be to directly connect the following 4 pairs of signals: TX_ALIGNED - RX_ALIGNED TX_BONDED - RX_BONDED TX_VERIFY - RX_VERIFY TX_RESET - RX_RESET

And then you just watch the LANE_UP and CHANNEL_UP signals to go up a while after simulation starts...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

A small addition:

The TX_BONDED-RX_BONDED connection is only required when channel bonding is used.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Hi Mikhail.

Alright.. There seems to be new model Using the Timer-Based Simplex Mode in the version of Aurora 2.8 core. This contains the little tricks to set initialization settings using a timer. Will check that option out as well.

Thanks,

Best Regards shakith > A small addition:

Reply to
shakith.fernando