Paper about selecting fixed point bit widths?

Hello all,

Can anyone point me to a good general purpose paper about selecting appropriate bit-widths for a fixed point implementation of a signal processing algorithm? I've looked around and haven't found anything that describes a general methodology to use. I have implemented a design and it isn't performing as well as I would like. I suspect it has to do with some poor selection of bit slicing when it comes to multipiers and accumulators.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
paragon.john

I don't know any papers. Personally, I do an implementation of an algorithm in Matlab, first with floating point numbers, and then with integers. I can then make quick changes and graph the two implementations to compare the results. That allows me to determine how many bits I need for various portions of the algorithm to get acceptable results.

By the way, I tried the Matlab fixed point package, but found that the performance was too poor to use on processing even a modest sized data set, so I stick with using ordinary integers. Typically I stick a comment at the end of most lines indicating the scaling of that particular parameter.

Reply to
Duane Clark

Here is also some Matlab based toolbox, I used

. Not very usefull for me, because it didnt convert automaticly / and sqrt, and so I also started manual transformation.

From Washington came the Precise Framework, look for it here:

And if I remember right, there was a chapter about word length optimization in a book from some of the Lononder Imperial College (...some google-seconds later...): George Constantinides, Peter Cheung und Wayne Luk "Synthesis and Optimization of DSP Algorithms"

Florian

Reply to
Florian Stock

Try: