LVDS PCI card is needed

Hello,

As a part of a project I am looking for a FPGA on PCI that has 8 LVDS channels and the driver of this card that enables all the 8 channels of read and write.

Total data transfer capacity is 200-400 Mbps.

Questions are:

1.Is this data rate achievable? 2.Can anyone point a solution for this design?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks in advance, Marc.

Reply to
soos

Marc,

Sells a number of PCI cards with Virtex II FPGAs which have LVDS IO for user access.

The LVDS IO in Virtex II will do 800 Mbs with DDR on one LVDS IO pair.

A 33 MHz 32 bit PCI bus is ~ 1Gbs of data transfer bandwidth.

I think what you ask is pretty easy (on the hardware side).

Now on the software driver side, that is what would scare me.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

I'm using a PMC module from Transtech DSP that comes with an LVDS buffer module. Not cheap but I am using up to 50 LVDS lines as input/output so I figured it was better to use a known good buffering/ connector solution. The FPGA01, 2, and 3 are pretty good solutions if not exactly cheap. CTW

Reply to
cwoodring

We can offer a hardware solution to this in our Broaddown2 product. We can support up 17 input lvds pairs and a lot more outgoing. The receive terminator resistors are an option on the board which can be fitted at the cost of 30 pounds UK, or equivalent. You can fit yourself if you are very good with a soldering iron but beware as the resistor sites are 0201 size.

The software side would be a custom design with associate costs and timescales.

200-400 Mbit/s is achieveable although at 400 MBit/s you will need some care to get that through-put on the 32bit/33MHz PCI bus.

Details of Broaddown2 on the website listed below.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

the resistor sites

0201!

I thought 0402 was bad, 0201 must be like dust.

I presume components this size remove all the headache of decoupling/ terminating BGA designs, but are they easy to get hold of, and where do you source them in the UK (they're not in the RS catalogue :-( ).

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Hi,

this board looks nice, also the price is okay...

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc
0201 fits nicely on the 1mm via grid underneath the FPGA allowing the optimal termination point. 0201 are not generally available in the common used UK catalogues as yet. Digi-Key do have stock though if you can suffer the US export questions.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Austin, hello

Thank you for your reply. I have visited the site you mentioned but failed to find an LVDS card with a pci interface.

I have noticed that you are a Xlinx member, could you point other companies that implement LVDS on your FPGAS?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to bother you, Marc.

Reply to
soos

soos,

Was it:

or, another one of the 907 hits on google for:

LVDS Xilinx PCI card

I was just using google to find the card. A lot of links to wade through.

Good luck,

Austin

soos wrote:

Reply to