ISE or EDK?

Hello,

I want to design a system which includes ADC, digital filter, DAC with dataflow chart like this:

audio_signal1->ADC->digital filter->DAC->audio_signal2

digital filter has to be controlled from PC host running Windows through a GUI written in Visual Basic.

Which software from Xilinx is more appropriate to design such system - WebPack ISE or EDK?

Reply to
Vagant

Hi Vagant,

I would use ISE with MACFIR filter core on a OpalKelly XEM3001 board. XEM3001 has a very easy to use USB2.0 interface. Add ons (ADC and DAC) should have parallel bus and easy handshaking to ease FPGA communication. If you are a beginner embedded design is an overkill.

Cheers,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

EDK is not a stand-al- ISE is used for everything you need to do to get a bitfile for the FPGA in the first place: synthesis, map, place and route.

- EDK is used for building FPGA system-on-chips with embedded microprocessors like MicroBlaze or the embedded PowerPC in certain Xilinx devices. EDK is more or less optional: It simplifies the task of building complex designs that include microprocessors.

HTH, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...

Do you know which FPGA you will be using? In any case the main question you need to answer is how precisely you are going to control the filter. If you decide that it would be beneficial to have a CPU running in your FPGA, then EDK will be a very useful addition to ISE, which you will need in any case. When it comes to actually using EDK you will have an option of creating your top level project in either ISE or EDK. I think for a project as you describe it is easier to have top-level project in ISE, but it is really a matter of taste.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM