EDK 7.1 installation error: Missing libPortability.dll file

I get the following message when I run XPS or its other components (like Create/Import Wizard, Xilinx Cygwin Shell, etc.).

"This application has failed to start because libPortability.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

I have installed EDK 7.1 (original version) on a Win XP machine that has ISE 7.1 SP2 successfully installed and working. I tried to install EDK 7.1 SP1, but the issue persists after installing it. Also, I made sure that the environment variables, XILINX_EDK and XILINX, are set and placed first in the path as suggested by a related Xilinx Answer Record #16591

. Finally, after installing, I restart the machine just to make sure the variables are set. EDK exhibits the same behavior when installed on another Win XP machine.

Any one with tips to get around this?

Thanks,

NN

Reply to
Nju Njoroge

Where does your XILINX-environment-variable point to? This error usually occurs when you're using different versions of EDK and ISE.

If you want to use EDK7.1, you have to use ISE7.1 as well, otherwise you get the above error message.

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

I installed ISE 7.1 first with the SP's and that worked by itself. I then installed EDK (refer to my original posting).

Thanks for the response. NN

Reply to
Nju Njoroge

I found out what the issue was:

libPortability.dll is located in the directory %XILINX%\bin\nt. However, when you install ISE 7.1i, it sets the path to %XILINX%. For EDK to work properly, the path should be %XILINX%\bin\nt instead. Thus, the bug is that EDK should make sure that the path is %XILINX%\bin\nt, not %XILINX%. Note that ISE will work with either path configuration because Windows shortcuts (like clicking on the Project Nav icon) uses the absolute path, so ISE searches for its DLL in the path in which it resides.

I noticed that the only time that xps.exe ran was when I called it from C:\Xilinx\bin\nt (from the DOS command prompt, cmd). This observation clued me in that there were some path issues.

Fix: Make sure PATH variable has %XILINX%\bin\nt in it.

Reply to
Nju Njoroge

OK, good to know. I *KNEW* it was something with the path :)=

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin