Is Xilinx Webpack 6.1 help crippled?...

I have just installed Webpack 6.1 on an XP system from the full 188MB installation and applied the service pack 1. Installation went smooth, but the help doesn't work. When I click on "ISE Help Contents" IE opens but with its left pane empty, so I can't browse. It seems that something is wrong with Java and the Xilinx knowledge base in fact points to this issue, however I have the Sun Java Runtime Environment installed as recommended.

That's not all however. The Online documentation (pdf) doesn't open at all! I compared this installation with ISE5.2 and it seems that pdf files are completely missing! Same thing can be said about the tutorials. They are missing too!

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is it supposed to be this way?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

You also need the Sun virtual machine plugin for your web browser.

I had this exact problem when I installed 6.1 and I also had the Runtime environment, however I had to also download and install the virtual machine plugin for my web browser before the help would work.

Regards,

James

with

all!

Reply to
James Williams

machine

I believe I do have the plugin, but it still doesn't work... Maybe I have a wrong plugin?.. Do you remember where you got it from? And what about the pdf part and the tutorials? Do you have them working?

Thanks, /Mikhail

Reply to
MM

I got the VM from sun. My pdf's will open without a problem.

Go to sun and look for the Virtual machine plugin for IE or Netscape.

Regards,

James

James Williams

James,

I reinstalled the whole thing with the same result.... I am starting to suspect the installation file. When you installed it, did you use Xilinx web installer or did you first download the big file? I first tried to use their web installer but it failed 2 times, so I downloaded the big (188MB) file and ran it locally... Java thing aside I don't seem to have any pdf files installed whatsoever. Can you please confirm that you have %Xinlinx%\doc\usenglish\manuals.pdf ? My doc\usenglish has no files in it....

/Mikhail

Runtime

have

the

Reply to
MM

OK, I tried the Xilinx web installer again. It didn't fail this time, but I got exactly the same result as with the two previous installations: pdf files are not installed at all and the HTML/Java help still doesn't work This is starting to drive me crazy...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

For those who have the same problem, here is a reply from Xilinx tech support:

---------- This is a recent issue that just came up. It looks like the "books" directory is not installed with the Webpack download. I've put one up on the ftp site. It goes in the %WebPACK%\doc\usenglish\ directory. Here is the link to the books.zip:

ftp://customer: snipped-for-privacy@ftp.xilinx.com/download/books.zip

The help browser though seems to be a different issue...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM