Is an XC3S1500 enough to implement a MP@ML MPEG-2 decoder?

I'm looking for a development board to implement an MPEG-2 video decoder, and currently interested in ADS-XLX-SP3-DEV1500 available from Avnet, which comes with the following components: * Xilinx XC3S1500/2000-FG676 Spartan-3 FPGA * 2x16 character LCD * 128x64 OSRAM OLED graphical display * DB15 & video DAC * Audio CODEC * PS2 keyboard & mouse ports * 8-position DIP switch * 2 push-buttons * 8 discrete LEDs * Piezo buzzer * 3, 140-pin general purpose I/O expansion connectors (AvBus) * Up to 30 LVDS pairs * 1, 50-pin 0.1" header for easy I/O access * Micron DDR SDRAM (32 MB) * 16 MB FLASH * 2 MB SRAM * RS-232 serial port * 10/100 Ethernet * USB 2.0 * Xilinx platform FLASH configuration PROM(s) * Parallel IV cable support for JTAG * Fly-wire support for Parallel III and MultiLINX?

The peripherals seem more than enough, but I still wonder whether the logic resources in XC3S1500 is sufficient. Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

kevin

I'd say yes.

This is a MPEG4 decoder in 10000 Slice IIRC so ...

Sylvain

Reply to
news.skynet.be

decoder,

which

[... snip stuff like the Piezo buzzer and connectors ...]
[...]

Howdy Kevin,

That's quite a development board! Seems like it would be perfect for your project and you should have no problems fitting an mpeg decoder in that device. Compared to past FPGA's, XC3S1500 is quite a large device

- in fact, Xilinx has an IP partner that has a mpg decoder core which fits in a 3S1000:

I see that their core runs at only 50 MHz. With just a little bit of attention, running at 100 MHz in the S3 should not be a problem. Going out on a limb just a bit (it's a pretty strong one), you could likely code up two decoders in the space of their one, or one decoder that takes up half the space of theirs.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Hi,

i wrote a few mpeg decoding blocks (VLD, inv.ZigZag, inv.Quant, IDCT). By now i am able to decode a macroblock of a mpeg-1 I-Frame. This logic needs about 18 % of a XC3S1000 and is not very optimized. The largest block which is still missing is the motion compensation. So i think the Avnet board will be perfect for your needs.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Gebauer