Re: MPEG-2 Encoder

JNETO wrote in news:1190274638.772389.90620 @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Gary Tait: I'm not intended to access private data, but understand how > MPEG-2 encoders can be brought and used. Remember that there is lots > of complete datasheets available in the web provided directly by > chip's manufacturers. Some semiconductors are even more complex than > MPEG-2 encoders, but this data can be accessed freely and legally by > any user. I'll evaluate the risk of a +US$ 10K investment, thats all. >

The thing you might be missing is MPEG2 chips require licensing form the MPEG-LA, becasue it contains proprietary technology. They don't want just anybody to get that info unless they are legtimate and commercially serious about possibly using their product and have likely paid for, or are on their way to paying for an MPEG-LA license.

Reply to
Gary Tait

The proprietary technology involved in MPEG-2 itself is protected by patents, not trade secrecy.

The details of MPEG-2 can be found in the patents, or in the source code of any software decoder (patentability of algorithms varies between countries, as does whether or not source code can infringe a patent).

The only details likely to be trade secrets are those relating to the particular chip, not MPEG-2 per se.

Reply to
Nobody