MPEG-2 to H.264 conversion?

Hi,

I dug out my RasPi yesterday and tried raspbmc. Veeery nice! I noticed that I was able to *see* some blue-ray material but not DVB-S recordings in MPEG-2. Searching (and stumbling across an april-fools-joke on the way), I found out that this works as designed and that the key for MPEG-2 costs only 2,40 GBP. Not *that* much, but I wondered if this could be done in software! Some of my media sources are minidlna. Does anyone know if one can seduce minidlna to convert from MPEG-2 to H.264 on-the-fly?

TIA,

Josef

Reply to
Josef Moellers

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:02:02 +0200) it happened Josef Moellers wrote in :

Dunno about that, I stopped using minidlna as from my big Samsung I could not ffwd etc to skip commercials... maybe your version / TV can. I recorded some 720 progressive H264 movie from ZDF on the PC, and just burned it to a SDcard, the raspi played it amazingly good, no hickups, really nice enjoyable. Although it takes a while to burn a full movie to a USB stick or card, this usually is no big problem (and I watch timeshifted almost always) You could then use ffmpeg or some other program to convert to H264 on a fast PC. BTW I did buy that key, and it is really needed to play the normal mpeg2 TV recordings.

Also on the subject of SDcards, I have 2 the same 8 GB cards, both work OK on the PC[s] but one causes errors and kernel panic on both my raspis. Both are SDHC, so YMMV if you burn movies to cards...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I usually record using dd ;-), then projectx to trim and delete comercial breaks, then mplex (-f 3) to gerenate an MPG file. I'm content with the SD stuff, no HD. The recordings are then stored on disks and minidlna/nfs/samba is used to export them.

I'll try that.

I guess I'll do likewise. It will definitely save some time. It's not even 3?! Any maybe the RasPi foundation may profit from the sale.

Reply to
Josef Moellers

I seem to remember reading on the rasbmc website that they'd cracked the codec and it was included in rapbmc.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:49:02 +0200) it happened Josef Moellers wrote in :

Are you aware of xdipo?

Been using it since 2000, this version will record HD too (I have a Teratec Cinergy S2 USB HD sat receiver connected to it). It has build in timers, nice as especially ZDF has the movies in the middle of the night sometimes. Purely theoretically that should compile on raspi, and the driver is in the kernel, for that module needs a kernel recompile... but not sure if the 3.6 raspi kernel driver is OK, I have seen problems in 3.5, normally I use 2.4 kernel.

I stopped editing out the commercials, as the last time I realized I saw and remembered more of those editing than when simply doing fast forward in mplayer or xine :-)

I have 1TB plugged into the Samsung TV, but that TV does not even have zoom... IIRC I tested that 1TB on the raspi too, and amazingly it worked, gets its power from USB. Thought it would fry the adaptor, but it did not.

I use 'openelec' for playing movies.

Just been doing nice programming in C on a raspi via ssh from the laptop, keys are more responsive that way, part of a project using the GPIO port / header. If that ever is completed I am sure I will make a website for that too,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Whoops! Sorry. Apparently it was an April Fools joke. I didn't read it until long after so it got me.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

"A driver for Diseqc-1.2 compatible positioners ...". I'm afraid my multiswitch doesn't know Diseq. Anyway, I have written this program which can either schedule an at job or record. It's all working. Thanks anyway!

I just have two DVB-S cards (a hauppauge and another one). Maybe I'm too old to spot the difference between SD and HD. Also, a good film is still a good film in SD and a bad film is still a bad film in HD ;-)

I have ordered the key. It's only 3 Euros and that's less than a box of cigarettes ... sh*t ... I don't smoke :-)

Josef

Reply to
Josef Moellers

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:31:20 +0200) it happened Josef Moellers wrote in :

Yea, I have an old Skystar 1 ?? , and wintvnova too.

Of I agree with that. But on a huge screen some real HD can be nice.

Old, glasses?

No but I have been inhaling soldering fumes...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje