Individual study-activity on FPGA's - which subsubject?

Hi everyone

Having had a course on introductory VHDL and done a small project in the following semester (4.5 ECTS), we are a group of students thinking to do an individual study-activity in the subject of FPGA's to learn more. The question is - where to start and where to stop? Where should we go now and which subject should we start reading about!

The individual study activity will be 5 ECTS points large and therefore fill out 17 weeks with approx. 4 hours of study each. This means around 8.5 hours of work in 8 weeks (which is the length of the indiv. study activity). By doing an individual study activity it is possible to make a project also, and "learn by doing"! There will be no lectures, so everything is done "yourself" and you can use some of the time with a supervisor of course.

So with introductory VHDL and a basic project implementing a "bad" multiprocessing system using Spartan II and PicoBlaze CPU's, what can we do, and what can't we do for the indiv. study activity? We have done a basics course in the basics of digital electronics, and also worked with basic analog electronics (and the more advanced transducer interfacing which is more or less irrelevant here).

We are all studying for becoming computer systems engineers and are this summer all bachelors.

What subjects do you think is relevant, what litterature can you recommend and what does the subject contain (a brief description).

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks, Preben

Reply to
Preben Holm

You could try and implement a simple LC-3 Van Neuman Architecture. After you are happy with that you could proceed and implement a hardware driver for peripheral devices like a RTC Timer, SRAM etc.

You can check the class webpages for some of the cool projects we implemented at my university for that.

Best Wishes.

-Yaju N

Reply to
Yaju N