Chorus for embedded system - very interesting and sad...

I came across the chorus as embedded system and found the the early version has become open source. I decide to build a slink database for its source code. (SLink lets you hyper-link every variables, functions, macros in for the chorus' 8000+ source files, cross reference and documents the code from any web browser. )

I found that the all the core kernel primitives of the chorus is written in C++ including paging, IPC, Thread, etc. Very interesting.

Too bad, Chorus looks like a dying product/technology when I check the activities in the newsgroup/source forge and Chorus' website. :-(

The technology/source code is still very interesting to poke around.....

It is kinda sad....

Personally, I like chorus code a lot better than the more popular BSD/Linux kernel code.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here's the code for NetBSD's scheduler:

K_Lee

Chorus is not dying (As you can see on the WEB page on

many new products have been delivered this year and most of them are based on the Chorus micro-kernel technology.

Of course, the project open source activity is low. The explanation is relatively simple : we are a small team, and when we have to choose between a project with a business opportunity and the open source project, we choose business ....

Gilles.

Reply to
gilles maigne

Hi,

Try jaluna.com, still alive and kicking in a differnt guise.

Andrew

gilles maigne wrote:

Andrew Holt

Thanks Lee and Andrew for the good waves ! Please keep on preaching for our software everywhere if you think it deserves so. And remember that you can actually support us by getting your company to buy our products ;-)

True, the Chorus(tm) microkernel is still alive and kicking (ass ?) in our Jaluna-1 and Jaluna-2. The initial release of Jaluna-1 has been freely downloadable for 1 year, and quite successfull so with thousands of downloads on SourceForge. Regarding the number of downloads specific to the Solaris/Sparc host, one can infer that there have been a number of "serious" projects done with it.

Best,

Eric

Andrew Holt wrote:

Eric Dujardin

The newsgroup and sourceforge sites see very little activity. That doesn't mean that the product isn't being used, etc. I am currently using it in a product design (though I suspect I will not *deploy* the product on it).

What's "more sad" are all the "abandonware" products the sources for which have simply been lost or discarded. So, folks are doomed to reinvent the wheel... over and over and over...

They serve different markets/application domains and have different design criteria. Chorus has it's roots in the microkernel craze of the 80's; BSD/ATT systems came from the "monolithic kernel" philosophy before that (though nowadays this distinction blurs as each camp tries to cherry-pick features and mechanisms from the other technology to improve/enhance their respective offerings).

Horses for courses... (choruses?? :>)

Reply to
D Yuniskis