Control Panel application for Altera Cyclone II Starter Kit, help?

I'm using Altera's "Cyclone II Starter Kit", and while the board seems to work fine, I can't figure out one of the bundled utility programs.

I installed the Cyclone II Starter Kit CD on my Windows/XP machine. I'm able to use Quartus II 7.1 (web) to compile and then download projects to the board -- That works fine.

However, I cannot get the "Control Panel - Starter II Kit" application to work. I launch it, and the application window comes up. It appears to work fine -- I can 'open USB' connection to my board, then click on the various tabs (sram, sdram, led, etc.) and toggle the controls. However, when I click 'set' on anything, nothing happens. I see the blue-light on my Kit board flicker momentarily, so it's getting some kind of traffic from the PC. But otherwise, nothing happens.

For example, I tried the 'SRAM' tab, and wrote several unique values (0x0123, 0x4567) to the SRAM at address 0x00 and 0x01. But, when I read them back, they always come back 0x0000. The Control Panel's built-in self-test also fails on the sdram, sram, and flash.

What am I doing wrong? I tried toggling the RUN/PROG switch (SW12) back and forth, then cycling power to the board. With either position, Control Panel applet still doesn't work.

Reply to
mitshek

Hi,

You are of course copying the default project back to the FPGA that comes on the CD? DE1_USB_API.pof/sof ? (or whatever Altera call it on their CD, I bought mine direct from TerASIC)

The control panel will 'see" the USB port, but will only "talk" to the default project (or something that emulates it).

Red

Reply to
RedskullDC

Wow, I'm embarrassed.

You were right, I forgot the part in the manual/readme which says I need to load the DE1_USB_API pof/sof file. It's working now!

I bought my kit through digikey.com, and it came (flash) preloaded with the flashing-lights demo-application -- apparently not the same FPGA-bitstream as the Control-Panel applet.

Reply to
mitshek