Directing data to DDR

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in this area. I'm working on a custom board that has Virtex-4 on it and doing my development using XPS. What I'm trying to do is moving some data that's coming into my peripheral (attached to OPB bus) to a certain location on the DDR (attached on the PLB bus). Is there any way to check if that location on the DDR is not being used / still free? (I don't want to overwrite anything on DDR) Can I also copy the data directly to some address located on the DDR? Can anyone suggest any articles that might help me in understanding the data transfer between IPs or any example firmware of how to do this?

Thanks S