DDS-Based PLL

An alternative using a conventional VCO-based PLL with an FPGA would be to implement most of the PLL as a DDS. The FPGA would have a phase accumulator and BRAM-based sine LUT and would output a sine to a cheap 8-bit DAC. The output of the DAC would be reconstructed with a simple lowpass (with a simplicity based on the oversampling rate) and then squared with a comparator to make a clock of any desired frequency. The comparator would do the job of placing the edge of the clock at the correct interpolated point between DAC samples. This has several advantages. You can synthesize any clock with any crazy multiplication ratio without fractional-N techniques. You can dither or spread the clock easily and digitally control overshoot when transitioning. You get rid of a bunch of analog hardware, including a VCO and a loop filter and charge pump, all of which have varying characteristics from part to part. You could even generate really fast clocks by bandpassing one of the DAC's images. Yet I rarely see this technique used. Is is just that it's used more than I think, or does it have some disadvantage like introducing a lot of phase noise?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Analog Devices has a whole line of parts based on integrating the whole ball of wax.

The technique is used, just not in the boards *we've* seen.

One of the issues is that the bulk of designs don't need a precise, arbitrary, low jitter clock source opting instead for lower cost, fixed (or limited) solutions.

If you have a clock that's low enough in frequency to use a really cheap DAC, you could get better results by using the MSB output of a faster DDS. If you're fast enough to need a decent DAC, it'll cost you. A simple lowpass filter works fine for some apps but may involve a less-simple filter than you expect to block out an alias as close as the 3rd harmonic. Oversampling is great but increases the cost of the DAC further. The Analog Devices chips integrate most of these functions in one device providing exceptional spectral purity.

I put together a DDS based synthesizer that adds controlled levels of sinusoidal jitter about 6 years ago and have since watched some of the offerings that provide higher integration.

The higher frequency extraction with a bandpass can work but the filtering is easier with single-sideband modulation of a high frequency carrier with a DDS controlled offset. I/Q modulation devices achieve this translation (with -35 dBc images) and are used significantly in wireless systems and don't have the narrow bandwidth, high rejection requirements of picking out, say, the ninth harmonic. Good I/Q is cheap stuff nowadays.

accumulator

synthesize

control

varying

Reply to
John_H

Fine frequency resolution with reasonably low jitter.

I just finished and tested an FPGA design using a 30-bit DDS phase accumulator that is conservatively clocked at 80 MHz and, with the help of a DCM in Frequency Synthesis mode and a binary divider chain, generates any frequency from 1 Hz to 80 MHz with 1 Hz granularity. The output period jitter is From: "John_H"

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Peter, I'd like to know more about this. If the output of a phase accumulator has

300ps jitter, then that indicates that the phase accumulator clock is at least 3.3GHz. How would you ever get speeds like that in a Xilinx?

-Kevin

ball

(or

DDS.

filter

Analog

filtering

with a

out,

The

would

hardware,

it

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

An ability to position an edge within 300ps does not imply that a

3+GHz clock has been used. It is possible to use multiple phases of a lower frequency clock to achieve the same thing.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Or an adjustable delay. Consider the MC100E195

It claims 20 ps resolution. (Mainly for ATE equipment, I think.)

I've always wanted to build something that could use one of them.

I'd guess Peter is using the equivalent thing packaged in a DCM

Hal Murray

Not really. First the frequency has to be PLL'ed up. A DDS just makes a frequency lower, much lower usually. Some of the more expensive Analog devices DDS have selectable PLLs.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

??

If you read his full post, you would have noted that the selection of a high frequency alias from the DDS output was part of the ideas he was asking about. Very valid.

Also, not all VCO-based systems result in higher frequency values.

My suggestion of using sin/cos DDS outputs to drive an I/Q modulator doesn't require a VCO.

Not really.

Reply to
John_H

These statements are both true but assume one can wield great control over the DCM, which I don't think is possible. There is no direct access to the taps on a DCM or the tap mux, and the only way to change the tap is by using the phase increment function, which allows you to increment or decrement one tap only, and also very very slowly. It's meant to be used infrequently. Mabye Peter has some backdoor access to the DCM we don't know about.

You can use carry chain muxes to get 200ps resolution, but it's hard to get the routing from the outputs to have deterministic delays.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

The applications I was thinking of mostly is sampling clocks for ADCs or DACs, so having low jitter is important and in that case using the MSB of a DDS wouldn't suffice. I had one application in which I had to generate a DAC clock that wasn't really large but was a really strange multiple of an input clock (the ratio was close to 80000/78000, irreducable) and PLLs couldn't handle that ratio and even if they could the comparison frequency would be really low and the loop filter cutoff would have had to be really small.

I like the offset idea. Of course that means you need an accurate high-frequency source with which to mix; I guess that would be generated with a PLL.

-Kevin

ball

(or

filter

Analog

out,

The

would

hardware,

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

The jitter associated with *most* digital-based clocking techniques is tough to deal with for ADC and DAC systems without the PLL and VCO. What *can* be done to get the irreducably low frequency to not cripple your system is to not go so low.... Fractional-N synthesizers can give superb spectral results with non-integer divides. In some cases, these Fractional-N devices which "dither" the divider before the phase comparator can produce close-in harmonics that aren't reasonable to filter. With arbitrary numerator and denominator values (producing an odd modulus in the accumulator) these close-in sidebands can be pushed out to well beyond the PLL's loop filter cutoff. With sigma-delta techniques in some of the commercially available Fractional-N synthesizers, some problem sidebands can be squashed. Neat stuff, all of it.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

Seems there's a lot packed into a few sentences here - when/where can we see more info ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville