Content of RAM in Modelsim

Hi,

I use the ALTSYNCRAM component in Altera QuartusII version 4.1 SP2

It has the following ports:

data_a[35..0] address_a[1..0] wren_a byteena_a[3..0] q_a[35..0] clock_a aclr_a

data_b[35..0] address_b[1..0] wren_b q_b[35..0] clock_b aclr_b

To make the content of the RAM visible during simulation with MODELSIM I choose the component ALTSYNCRAM in Modelsim and open the PROCESS and the VARIABLES window. When I choose the line__21837 I see the variable m_mem_data_a which seems to represent the content of the RAM.

When I add this array to my wave window and simulate my design I can see that m_mem_data_a changes while 'wren_b' is high ? ('wren_a' is deasserted) The output a PORT A q_a also changes its value.

I do not understand that. Why does the output of PORT A change with the clock of PORT B when 'wren_b' is asserted?

Does m_mem_data_a show the content with reference to PORT A or PORT B or both?

When I look at an additional array called "m_mem_data_b" I see that its content remains "XXX...XXX" during the complete simulation. So what does this array represent?

Any idea of what is going on ?

I would appreciate your help.

Rgds

Reply to