Comparing Quality of Results of FPGA CAD Tools

I am a full professor in a US school and do research in the area of synthesis. I also teach logic design for Undergraduate students. I had a six month sabbatical recently in a design house and I used many FPGA cad tools. I would like to shed my experiences in this group.

I worked on 15 big designs, already coded, targeting both virtexII and StratixII. All the designs were in verilog and I used Xilinx XST and Altera QNS at the front end. I spent lot of time to see the quality of results from the synthesis tools. For 11 designs, QNS won both in area and final fmax. XST was not even comparable in the quality of results. QNS compiler seems to do very good job compared to XST. Also, QNS does very good job in removing redundant logic and registers. So in my experience, QNS is a much better logic synthesis tools compared to XST.

At the end of my sabbatical, I was able to use the latest (beta) synplify PRO. I did not have much time, but I did run these 15 designs targeting StartixII, as I was interested in comparing with the best known results. Synplify Pro did excellent job in implementing operators, and it found optimal five, six and seven inputs functions on the critical paths.

For my ten designs, Pro results were superior in terms of area and fmax compared to QNS. Synplify Pro has a very fast run time. For the remaining five designs, QNS seems to remove lot of redundant logic and registers, which pro did not remove. I did not have time to analyze these designs. QNS area was much smaller for these five designs.

I am back to my school and I use free XST and QNS tools. I am going to do more research using these tools. I would like to share my experience in this group. I am also interested in listening the quality of results from various tools.

Prof. John Smith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
John Smith

I'm not sure what this is telling us. It looks like you compared the fmax of some designs in VirtexII (quite old technology) and StratixII (quite new/future technology), and observed that the StratixII implementation was faster.

From this you deduced that the Altera synthesis was better.

What am I missing here?

Reply to
Pete Fraser

Let's see: - name is John Smith - full professor at US school, but no mention of school name - yahoo e-mail address - Having attended engineering school, I realize that English is not a top priority for students or faculty. Even so, the phrase "I would like to shed my experiences" is not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I suppose this could be legit, but the ol' bogosity meter is sitting near full scale. For starters, could you give us the university and department names?

Thanks, Bob Perlman Cambrian Design Works

Reply to
Bob Perlman

[snip]

My B.S. detectors are hitting full scale deflection on this one!

"John Smith"? Pseudo-anonymous name, anonymous email, simple grammatical errors, explicitly saying "full professor", not identifying which school... nah....

But why?

Reply to
John Williams

Perhaps the author is the Prof. John Smith that google turns up here :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

From his IP address he's one CustName: J VASUDEVAMURTHY

I found an email address on Google

snipped-for-privacy@Xilinx.COM

How very strange!

Reply to
Rotund Phase

How exactly is Virtex II considered "old" technology. Virtex 2 is the newest, fastest parts that Xilinx has. Virtex2pro may be a bit newer/faster, but they are not the same generic parts, they all include Power PC CPUs internally driving up the cost considerably.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

How'd you figure that then?

Reply to
John Williams

I guess "old" was the wrong term. I was just pointing out that it might be more appropriate to compare StratixII with Virtex4.

Reply to
Pete Fraser

Pete,

You are correct. 4VLX25 ES samples are available, too.

Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea

RP:

There is no employee at Xilinx by that name.

I think the BS meter just pegged and broke!

Aust> From his IP address he's one

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Is that possible? Is Virtex4 supported by the current tools?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Rick,

If you subscribed to the early access program, you would be using tools to develop your Virtex 4 design.

Since that is a select few (one might even say insignificant number compared to the total number of users), I would not expect anyone out there to know about it, unless they were a customer who had expressed an interest in being an early adopter of the latest technology (also because if someone was part of the program, they sign the agreement not to divulge).

Once the product is announced, and all software enabled, the good news is that there were many who had gone through it before you did, and helped hammer out all of the bugs.

We greatly appreciate those who volunteer to be early access customers, and we hope that they feel that we have done everything we can to have supported them, as this is definitely something that benefits everyone.

Aust> Pete Fraser wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Not true. The Virtex-IIPro fabric is almost identical with Virtex-II, with PowerPC and Multi-gigabit transceivers added to it. But the more advanced processing makes V-IIPro both faster and -lo and behold- even cheaper than the same logic in Virtex-II. So you can ignore ("throw away") the PPC and the MGTs, and V-IIPro is still less expensive than Virtex-II. If you use the PPC and/or the MGT, it is just that much more of a bargain. Just one of the benefits of Moore's Law and aggressive process innovation...

Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Try 1995, perhaps - it could have been faked but it's on the net.

Reply to
John_H

Ok, so I think the answer is "in general, the tools do not yet support the Virtex 4 parts". I understand that you have a special program for "early access". But the question was in the context of doing a comparison. Unless the OP was one of the "early adopters" he would not be able to do the comparison.

Aust>

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Yes, you can ignore and throw away the PPC. But you can't get the part for the same price as not having the PPC. So comparing the V2P would not be very apples and oranges. Of course there are lots of ways a V2 to StradixII is not apples to oranges, but in terms of the current parts designed for speed and in the same price range, I think this is the best comparison until V4 is actually out (or at least in the current release of the software).

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

It would have been nice to detail precisely all versions of the development tools and all device characteristics that you used to be sure that you don't compare an old XST w/ an old technology w/ a small FPGA to a new QNS w/ a new technology w/ a big FPGA ;-) For a professor, you're quite vague on the conditions of your experiments.

Eric

Reply to
Eric DELAGE

This argumentation is getting a bit weird. So we offer higher performance at a lower price ( in Virtex-IIPro), but rickman does not want to use them as a benchmark, because they wouldhave been even cheaper without the PPC and MGT.

Yes, and even cheaper without all the multipliers, and without the BlockRAM and the DCM, not to mention all the 50 different I/O options. And half the routing is never used, and who needs LUT-RAM and SRL16s ? Where should we stop in stripping things out to make you happy ?

Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Scarcasm is always a nice way to discuss a topic.

I checked web pricing and the V2Pro is a bit cheaper than the V2. The last time I had checked it was not. Regardless, V2 is not "quite old technology" and it is also not the V4 which is what Pete Fraser was proposing and I was disputing the availability for comparison. Austin said that "special" customers have been given the software to evaluate. So unless we get some of the "special" customers in this discussion, we will have to use the old Xilinx technology for our comparisons.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.