boot from flah

Hi all,

I am doing some experiments with virtex-ii pro50 fpga baord. I want to put my programme in the flash, and make the programme run as long as the power of the fpga board is on.

According to the EDK document "chapter 12 Programming flash memory": the program flash memory dialog box allows me to program external Compact Flash Interface(CFI) compliant parallel flash devices on my board. But my flash is "AT49BV162A made by ATMEL" which is Common Flash Interface(CFI), so I want to ask is it OK to run the programme? Or do I have to use a Compact Flash to run my programe? How can I boot from the flash or Prom?

Thank you very much!

Athena

Thank you

Reply to
Athena

CFI is not 'Compact Flash Interface'

It is the 'Common Flash Interface'. Compact flash and parallel flash devices are not the same (interface wise) at all.

The data sheet should state whether the device is CFI compliant. You can find the datasheet at:

I looked through the datasheet and it is CFI compliant.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Thank PeteS very much for your help. I got it.

Still I want to ask whether there is someone who have successfully boot from flash or have some documents or examples to show the method.

Thank you

Athena

Reply to
Athena

flash or have some documents or examples to show the method.

Could this give a hint ??

Carsten

Reply to
Carsten

flash or have some documents or examples to show the method.

The OP is not clear about 'boot from flash'. Does (s)he have a processor instantiated that boots from external flash? Is this a method of loading the FPGA from an ordinary flash?

Those are two different things

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Hi all,

At present I am using EDK7.1 to do projects. By EDK I get a file "download.bit". If i use the "impact" of ISE7.1, i can download this file to the Virtex-ii Pro50 fpga board(produced by memec insight), but the file is in ram, so I have to download it every time when the power is on. However, I want to download the file in prom or flash once, and make the the system run every time when the power is on. According to EDK document "Chapter12 Programming flash memory", I think it is possible. However i couldn't find the prom on the fpga board when using the impact to check the device. Or maybe I can use flash or system ACE, but my flash is the one I said at the beginning, It is not OK according to the edk document. I will do some tests with system ACE.

Cheers. Thank you!

Athena

Reply to
Athena