Add files to Xilinx ISE Project w/script

From time to time I'm given a Xilinx project directory (project file,

ucfs, cores, source) and have to add my own components to the project. Is there a way to add files to a Xilinx ISE 7.1 project with a script file or the command line instead of using the "Add Source ..." option in the Project menu?

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
sharpa17

I don't have an answer. But since I am still annoyed about it...;) Up through ISE6.3, this was trivial to do, because the project file was plain text. I frequently added and removed things with a text editor, which I found to be easier than the "Add Source ..." stuff. Then someone decided to to change to a binary file for ISE 7.1 :-(

Reply to
Duane Clark

I don't know about a script, but do you realize you can add multiple files at once using the "Add Source" if they're in the same folder. I'm assuming you're looking for a way to reduce the tedium of adding a lot of new source files?

Reply to
Gabor

ISE 7.1 will automatically convert .npl to .ise project, so a hack would be to create a .npl as you would and then let the tool deal with the format.

HTH, Jim

Reply to
Jim Wu

I agree and I too am annoyed. Why did they change it to binary?

Reply to
Rick North

We didn't get a resolution to this discussion last time it came up... the following was pasted from

] I'm guessing it wasn't paranoia, because they provide a way to import ] and export information to/from the new binary .ise file: ] ]

] ] My WAG is that they mistakenly thought they needed to go binary to ] improve the speed of the GUI (which can be sluggish with large ] projects, even on a decently fast machine).

Now that I've had months to thinking on it, maybe it was paranoia - they just had to get over it because customers complained. Doubt we'll ever know.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Learn how to write makefiles, and use gnu make. Then don't worry about Xilinx GUIs again, excluding the tools that should be graphical: FPGAeditor and FloorPlanner.

--
Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot

I agree strongly!

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Got any info/links/tutorials on the best way to learn to use makefiles and GNU make to build FPGAs?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

If you have some type of UNIX, you probably already have make installed. If you have windows easiest thing to do is to install Cygwin:

Documentation on gnu make is at:

For how to use XST and the rest of the tools on command line, see the Xilinx documentation.

--
Phil Hays to reply solve: phil_hays at not(coldmail) dot com
 If not cold then hot
Reply to
Phil Hays

This is exactly what EDK does. Take a look at the Makefiles and associated synthesis scripts that are generated to build a MicroBlaze / PPC project. It exercises pretty much everything you'll need to know - xst, ngdbuild, map, par, bitgen,...

John

Reply to
John Williams