Using version control for Xilinx 8.1i ISE projects and source files

I am using Xilinx ISE 8.1i on Linux.

I have a bunch of Verilog and project files that I need to check in to our version control system (Perforce) so others can work on them as well.

How do file paths in the project files are handled? For example, when I work on the project the files are under /home/myname/... but when somebody else opens the project he sees the files under /home/othername/...

Can I have relative references from the project file to the source files?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote: Jim or Joe....

Let me know if you figure out how to do this. I think with the folder structure in ISE/EDK and the way Perforce handles things, it isn't easy. We don't have a solution yet either. It seems like too much trouble to make it work.

Reply to
motty

Yet another pain in the butt with the new and better binary project files. Back when the project files were text, you could open them up in any text editor and change all the paths to relative paths. The Xilinx tools all have handled relative paths perfectly for every version of the software I have ever used, but now there seems to be no way to use them.

Reply to
Duane Clark

I think we have a working workaround.

Let's say the project root at /home/myname/myproject. Make a directory called 'stable_root' (or any other name you like) under /usr/local. Then run the command 'mount --bind /home/myname/myproject /usr/local/stable_root'.

This will map your project root to /usr/local/stable_root. Now, use in your ISE project only file pathes that start with /usr/local/stable_root. When other users need to work on the project, they should do the same mapping and the paths in the project will work for them.

Notes:

  1. Setting up /usr/local/stable_root as a symbolic link to /home/myname/myproject does not work.
  2. In Windows this can be done using the 'subst' command. Simply define a stable driver letter 'y:' to the root of your project.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim wrote:

Reply to