Active-HDL 6.1 pricing

Hi,

Does anyone know how much Aldec Active-HDL 6.1 costs? I emailed Aldec, but they didn't bother to reply.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

haha!

"Active-HDL pricing starts at $5,900."

Reply to
Allan Herriman

In article , Allan Herriman writes

Was about to give you a link to the UK distis, but then noticed you're no longer there. Couldn't really imagine agilent jumping ship from Modelsim anyway ;-)

--
fred
Reply to

Would you mind me asking why considering Aldec?

Reply to
Stratus Engineer

I'm looking for a simulation tool that (1) works and (2) handles the current version of Verilog (& pref. VHDL as well) and (3) doesn't have a size limit (or crippled simulation speed) and (4) doesn't cost too much.

There's not as much choice as I had first hoped.

I'm currently using Icarus (which fails on points 1 and 2). I've considered various versions of Modelsim (which fail on either point 3 or point 4). I've considered Riviera (which fails on point 4).

Aldec seems like a logical next step. Any other suggestions?

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

I have used ModelSim in a couple of jobs as well as part of the low cost or free tools that X and A offer(ed). I contacted Aldec about their simulator since I expected it to be much cheaper. Sadly, it is not and in fact is a bit more expensive. So if ModelSim fails on point 4, then Aldec will too (along with most of the others).

On the other hand, many of the simulations I do run just fine with the speed crippling, so I am ok for the moment.

Have you looked at any of the open source tools? Is that what Icarus is? I am not familiar with them, but I know they exist.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Yes, I am looking at commercial software because I am currently using an open source tool (Icarus).

My experience is that "open source" isn't necessarily the same as "good quality" when applied to EDA tools - both the developer and the user communities are just too small to achieve quality comparable with commercial EDA tools (or Linux, for that matter).

I wish that someone could prove me wrong!

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Hi Allan,

Have you looked at Symphony EDA? It is 10% of Aldec's cost. I use Aldec, but Symphony looks promising to me (I started using it a week ago). It's interface is very similar, but it does not have all the bells and whistles of Active-HDL.

-- Pete

Reply to
Peter Sommerfeld

Oops, looking through the thread I see you want a Verilog sim. Symphony is only VHDL.

-- Pete

Reply to
Peter Sommerfeld

Downlad a trial from Altec. This prevents you from ascking stupd questions.

Reply to
Valentin Tihomirov

Symphony is a good example though.

A one-year node-locked license of the "Standard" version costs US$199. There doesn't seem to be any comparable Verilog simulator in that price range.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Was that directed at me or Rick? Which questions were "stupd" ?

Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

questions.

Hi Allan,

Your thread is quite informative. Don't pay attention to such rough letters.

Valeri.

Reply to
Valeri Serebrianski

There are plenty of us who would like to use a nice low cost tool such as this, if it works well. Please keep us informed of any issues you find.

Peter Sommerfeld wrote:

message news:...

--

Rick "rickman" Collins