DVD Player cold startup problem

Hi,

My DVD player starts to give me problems as every cold start requires a shutdown/restart cycle to get it working. Once it started to work, everything works perfectly - no undetected discs, no skips, no audio/video drops.

The symptom:

  1. Upon cold powerup, insert any disc (DVD, CD, VCD), the player tray will retract and the read LED either blinks and remain steady or not blink at all. Control buttons and remote control are not able to wake up player. The laser did not move to home position and player hang.

  1. Shutdown the main power.

  2. Restart the player, eject the disc and retract the tray, the disc play perfectly.

I discovered two capacitors starting to leak yellowish/brownish materials at the power PCB, perhaps this is the cause of power problem?

I live in tropical region where temperature is between 24 degree celcius to

34 degree celcius, so unlikely due to temperature issue.
--
Hong Chin Siong
Singapore

I would start by changing the caps if you see physical leaking.

The best thing to do is use an ESR meter and check all the caps in the power supply. Most of the time when any electronic parts fail including caps, there is no visible indication.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

The problem is almost certainly electronic. I would start by replacing the caps that appear to be leaking.

However... It's also possible you're not loading the disk correctly. You might be placing it a bit off-center. This would keep the player from operating. This is unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

One of my computers once had a mainboard with some leaking caps. The symptoms were the same as yours; sometimes it would fail to boot when cold, but when started, would work all the time.

I'd start by replacing those.

BTW, the hotter caps are, the sooner they will fail. If the player tends to get hot inside (which is more of an issue with a tropical climate), it may very well have been the cause of accelerated capacitor failure.

Reply to
Wiebe Cazemier

Yes. I replace 2 caps today and so far so good.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

--
Hong Chin Siong