Z8 Encore, Development Kit, C compiler experience ?

Hello group Has anyone tried the ANSI C compiler and environment supplied together with The "Z8 Encore!® Development Kit". And how are the ZDS II IDE GUI debug features ?

Can you get a working ANSI C compiler and debug system without paying more ?

Development kit flyer:

Frank

Reply to
Frank Mikkelsen

Frank Mikkelsen wrote: : Hello group : Has anyone tried the ANSI C compiler and environment supplied together with : The "Z8 Encore!? Development Kit". And how are the ZDS II IDE GUI debug : features ? :

I got one through a circuit cellar contest

It's pretty nice, but i haven't gotten to seriously use it yet (only toyed around for a few minutes)

Alas, I fear i will miss 'make', gcc, and friends :)

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith

Seems ok, but I haven't pushed it much. Not bad at all for $50. Don't forget to download patches from Zilog's site. Current version is 4.5.1 (as far as I know).

Reply to
Gary Kato

with

?

I tried it and was not impressed with the hardware or software. I also tried CCS's C compiler, and (although it was better) I still could not get excited. Since then, I've tried Atmel's AVR Studio and the Code Vision C compiler. Both of which I like very much. Even though I've not purchased any hardware or software, I've been writing C programs and running them in the AVR Studio simulator. Great way to learn! I'm sure I will eventually buy the compiler and probably an STK-500 development board as well. At about $80 for the board and $150 for the compiler, it's still modest; and less than what I paid for the CCS compiler alone!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Haendel