8051 C Compiler

Which is the best C compiler for 8051 (Analog Devices Aduc831/841 in particular)? Does anyone have experience with Accutron tools?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
seba

What are you talking about?

Best price. Best code density. Best speed optimisation. Best support. Best debug tools. Most aesthetically appealing packaging. etc. etc.

Regards, Richard.

for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *

Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Keil.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Excuse me.

I'm looking for a compiler that generates best code in terms of speed optimisation. This compiler must have debugging tools too, for Analog Device ADUC microcontrollers.

Thanks in advance seba

"FreeRTOS.org" ha scritto nel messaggio news:fIWGg.7564$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
seba

How can someone reply to a properly bottom posted article with top-posting? It seems to me that this takes amazing gall and rudeness.

--
Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@maineline.net)
    USE maineline address!

C and 8051 are a very poor marriage especially it terms of speed. Unless you have some overwheming reason to use both together find another option.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I agree with Spehro.

Keil is the primary compiler for the ADuC chips from Analog Devices. We have used it with many of the chips in the series. The uVision IDE is very good. The simulator is the best I have ever used. It completely models the chip allowing full access to I/O including analog. You can specify voltages for the ADC inputs, states for the digital I/O and examine any variable, including making watch lists of the variables of interest to you.

The Accutron Aspire tools work (mostly), but seemed to need a lot of fussing with them and the configuration to get them to work at all. That may have improved since we started using them.

Once you get Aspire running you can configure uVision to use it directly with the exact same IDE as the simulator.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

I'm just looking for a list of C compilers compatible with Aduc8xx microcontrollers; I think I will use Keil compiler but, before starting development, I liked to know if there are good substitutes, other than Keil...

seba

Reply to
seba

In article , seba writes

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

Actually it works quite well. Lots of people manage it.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

CBFalconer wrote: >

Thank You Mother CBFalconer.

Reply to
Donald

Falconer.. ease up on the etiquette.. you do it in every friggin post. (top posted for your convenience)

Reply to
Elan Magavi

very low priced, but fast and including TCP/IP stack:

Franz

"seba" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:44ec6e21$0$15862$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.news.t>>

Reply to
McLion

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hills" Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:31 AM Subject: Re: 8051 C Compiler

Keil and IAR compilers are good, there's no doubt and their IDE's, debuggers snd associated applications are excellent. They are priced appropriately for what you get, and I don't mind that. However I won't buy them again because of their heavy handed license enforcement. If they're not going to trust me to meet their license terms, I'm afraid I can't trust that they'll be co-operative if I need to move my license from one PC to another. And the next time a company disappears when I'm using their product won't be the first, either. I sympathise with their desire to protect their intellectual property, but it's cost them a number of purchases (8051 and ARM in the last year alone) from me.

For the 8051, for larger projects HiTech C

have been around for over 20 years and have a suite of C compilers. While not dirt cheap, they're about 1/4 of the price of IAR or Keil and reasonably ANSI compliant. For smaller projects, uC51
is good and very cheap, but falls down on expanded memory and management and management of limited resources (direct memory, bit memory, registers, etc). All 4 compilers are relatively similar in both code size and execution speed. Some do one thing better, some another. Swings and roundabouts, really.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

Was it ever that?

hm

Well, you'll be blocking out a source of wisdom, then No-one can stop you from that. Stay dumb if you prefer, it's your freedom.

Reply to
karel

Well, that's a real clever statement. Whooo. ....Please let this Chuck stop man. Hire him so he has something useful to do.

Reply to
<->

"Elan Magavi" schreef in bericht news:SO%Gg.12399$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

Plonk! (for top posting).

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

I looked on their websites but I can't find the license information. Can you provide a pointer or a description of what you consider to be the problems?

Reply to
pomerado

Keil has been purchased by ARM, but there is a strong following in their

80c51 based tools and no plans (as advise by the local Australian distributor in the last few months) to "spin off" the 80c51 tools. The Keil simulated features for the ADuC831 can be found here
There may still be some concern about the purchase of Keil by ARM... perhaps you can contact your local Keil supplier to find out more.

I confirm IAR is another well know - respected C compiler vendor.

To companion the C compiler / Simulator you should partner with a Emulator that supports the chosen compiler. (disclaimer ... I haven't personally used these - use at own risk)

There are a few others.

There are many 80c51 compliers and emulators... you should make sure the ADuC831 additional perphieral hardware (h/w over and above std 80c51) is fully simulated or emulated.

If you plan to use 80c51 cores in the future - then, a tool chain that covers a wide range of 80c51 manufacturers may be handy (echonomical) in the long run..

Regards Joe.G

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

In article , Alf Katz writes

So far so god....

It's not heavy handed compared to most commercial tools. In the case of IAR you have a choice of dongle, node lock or floating.

Keil were dongle and are now node locked

You only have to look at the number of hacked copies about to see why they are paranoid. We used to get people on this NG both looking for and supplying Keil compilers

Whilst many are completely trustworthy many thousands are not. In some parts of the world 90% piracy is common. Even in large companies.

I have not had a problem. As a tool distributor I have helped quite a few customers who have had hard disks and computers fatally go down that had node locked sw on them. Also sorting out broken dongles and the like.

Most not all, are very co-operative. Most solve the problem quickly. Certainly Keil, IAR, have done. Whilst we are on the subject most can also supply old versions of their compilers too.

This is a real problem. Some systems, ie dongles are portable and so far I have yet to see a dangle fail. However nod locked systems could be more of a problem.

They would prefer to loose those few rather than loose many many more if their systems were not locked.

Lower priced, smaller section of the market and less of a problem with hackers. I expect that if Hi-tech start to see a dip in profits due to illicit use they too would put protection on.

If the world was perfect and could be trusted then there would be no need for copy protection.