Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?

Yeah,

The general consensus was Hi-Tech as the way to go. I just got my copy
today (>$1K) and it appears to install seamlessly into Microchip's MPLAB
IDE. Out of two exisiting projects, the first one compiled and linked
without a hitch the second one blew up and spewed about 50 arcane error
messages... sigh... I probably have a switch backward somewhere.

Bob S.

As a follow up question: I am also developing code for the Cygnal C8051F060
and C8051F321 processors. The Keil Evaluation compiler supplied with
Cygnal's development kit is hobbled to only generated 4K bytes of code.
Anyone have a special favorite 8051 compiler which supports Cygnal Parts?

Bob Stephens
DCX- CHOL

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?

Oh, you'll not want to go back to the PIC after a few JTAG download/debug
sessions on the Cygnal part.

I have had great success with Keil in the past and the Cygal eval. boards
integrate seemlessly into the Keil debugger - very nice. I've also had
good experiences with www.amrai.com too.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?
[...]

Well --- Keil of course!  Mind you: the real, fully supported version
of it, not the cheapo version that you got bundled with the Cygnal
hardware.

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?

You know, Cygnal's stock went down quite a few points in my estimation when
I discovered that the development kit "complete with all hardware,
software, cables and power supply." was actually crippleware.

Does this sort of bait and switch marketing piss any one else off? Or is it
just me?

Here is an excerpt from Cygnal's website touting their development kits:

Cygnal development kits provide a comprehensive integrated development
environment for unobtrusive real-time debug IN YOUR TARGET SYSTEM. Unlike
"development boards" sold by others, Cygnal Development Kits offer features
and performance typically found only on development systems costing
thousands of dollars. These kits are complete with all hardware, software,
cables and power supply. The user needs only to provide a PC running
Windows (95/98/NT/2000/XP) with a free COM port.
<<

Anyway, Thanks for the advice everybody, I ordered the Keil software today.
'tis the season to spend money...

Bob Stephens

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?

Just you I guess. TI does the same thing with the MSP430 and IAR C
compiler.

Attaboy! Let's get this economy going.

:-)

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?

The Cygnal kits look like a good deal for the money.  However...

"Everybody else does it" would be a reasonable excuse, except for the
quote from Cygnal's web site (which you elided) reproduced below:

They seem to be claiming that they're different from everybody else,
and that they're "complete."  Apparently that's only true if you're
merely playing -- a real application requires you to buy additional
tools (at substantial cost).

OTOH, I still would probably still buy them if I had an application
that fit well.  They look like awfully nice devices.  Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: PIC16XX C-Compiler?
Hi, unfortunatly spending money doesn't allways solve the problem. Please let
us know how you get on with your new compiler.

Site Timeline