Zilog Z8 Encore!

Hello Group!

I have a Z8 Encore microcontroller and I need it for a school project. I don't know how to use it yet. Does anyone know a good place to get tutorials for begginers like me?

I would just like to write a small program (maybe something like turn on some LEDs when given a certain input voltage at an input pin), put that program on the controller and run it. Just to get to know the device.

Does anyone have any good tutorials for a begginer like myself.

Thank you very much,

-Arthur

Reply to
novak.arthur

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Hi,

Start with the Cd that came with the kit. It should have a compiler with examples. Otherwise try the web site for the kit manufacturer or the compiler vendor.

There are usually demo programs for the kit. Though not usually tutorials.

You are probably best to start with the eval version of a commercial compiler for the Z8.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

G'day Arthur, There is a yahoo group for the Z8 encore with some helpful people there. Much like the advice from Chris, if you didn't buy the development kit you can still download the demo programs from the Zilog website along with the Zilog compiler bundled with ZDSII. Might be best to get the development kit anyway as it comes with the on chip debug tool and IIRC is only around $50 usd. Single pin debug works well, Compiler and ZDSII is ok but has some problems. Good luck. Regards. Herbie.

Reply to
Herbie

Zilog's Website is very good and has lots of Application notes with example C code as well.

I used a Z8 for a homemade scan tool a couple years ago and I'd have to say that Zilog's huge number of application notes made the project a lot easier. I wish more micro companies would do the same....

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Chris,

Thanks so much or your advice. I will try all the demo programs I can to get familliar with the controller.

Thanks again,

-Arthur

Chris Hills wrote:

Reply to
novak.arthur

Herbie,

Hey thanks a lot. I saw the yahoo group you are talking about today and it's great. Just where I want to be.

This group thing is awsome. . . this was my first entry so I'm just getting used to it. Thanks for making it so useful.

Thanks again,

-Arthur

Herbie wrote:

Reply to
novak.arthur

Eric,

You're right. . . the site has lots of C code examples, but it's seems like they use lots of functions that I would have to already know. It's not so much coding but searching for the right functions to use. Or so it would seem to me. That's why I was looking for some tutorials because I'm brand new to microcontrollers. . . as I am to this Google Groups thing. Thanks so much for making to experience a truely great one.

-Arthur

P.S. I can't seem to send this to the group and your account at the same time. . . h> Zilog's Website is very good and has lots of Application notes with

Reply to
novak.arthur

... snip ...

Then now is the time to realize that you are talking to a much bigger system than google. Google only provides a flawed interface to usenet. Read the following links.

--
 Some informative links:
     (newusers)

     (taming google)
Reply to
CBFalconer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

How well do you know C?

That is the idea behind modula programming

Are you new to programming too? What experience do you have?

You are NOT on Google Groups. You are on Usenet. Google Groups is just a very poor news reader.

Go and have a look at XNews which is quite a good news reader. It is far more compatible wit the rest of the world than Google.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

... snip ...

One of the first things to learn is NOT to top-post. See the third link below. Your answer belongs after, or intermixed with, the material to which you reply, after snipping anything not relevant.

CBFalconer

Sorry , but Zilog will not be used again ...

ARM has a way to destroy all mcus .

and since ARM is the hottest competition , no govt will be able to protect their own companys like

Zilog .

First , govts put up trade barriers and hi taxes to "protect"

zilog , but other countries use the lower cost ARM to totally avoid Zilog . So protection simply kills Zilog , when it was designed to give Zilog an edge internally ( in the USA ). But since its only internal , it ends up killing Zilog and harming Intel , MicroChip et al ..

Its like shooting yourself in the foot .

any trade barriers will do NOTHING to ARM offshore !! and it will destroy USA market share .... fools ..

So , Zilog and MicroChip and Intel and AMD and Atmel and ...... will all suffer ....

But the world gains , because the pressure on USA to compete , will drop tax and USA will have no choice but to invent better software , because we cant compete hardware , because ARM is made in 20 countries !!

It will be forced on the world .....better , free software ..

which will kill C/C++ and Linux ....

i am building an ARM 9 with 2MB SRAM so Linux is ON in 1 second . Its battery backed , so i will boot Linux into SRAM , once a week ...

Clever !!

I will then single step Linux and toss parts i dont like and i will have a new OpSys sim to Forth ....

Reply to
werty