Help identifying Z8 part #

Hi - I am trying to determine the part# (F91, F92, F93, etc..) of a Z8 encore evaluation kit I purchased 3 years ago. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
el_squid_2000

Hello,

I guess we could do with some more info. I haven't managed yet to get my crystal ball working...

What does the box / guide / PCB marking of your kit says?

What are the markings on the ZiLOG chips on your board? If there really is a Z8 Encore, this part should contain "Z8F0" in its markings somewhere. If you can't identify it/them, please dump all markings from all major chips.

Oh, and have you thought of looking there at some point?

On a side note, the F* part numbers are NOT from the Z8 line. They're from the eZ80 line, a 16bit chip (Z800/Z280 derivative?) microcoded to accept most of the z80 ISA plus some extensions, as far as I can tell.

Oh, and a little question for any ZiLOG insider reading this: I stumbled recently upon a note about ZNEO (a product line I guess) and Z16F (part number of this line?). Any hint about that? It seems that a future ZDS II release is going to support them, so there is some hope! Now, if only it could be a nice, orthogonal Z8000 derivative... :) With the original

17000 or so transistors of Mr Shima, that could actually be a quite low power part...

Well good night group. D.

Reply to
D.

There is some info here :

and pointing my OrCAD to PADS translator, at that, I can see :

Z16F28xx/32xx/64xx in a series of 64/68/80/100 pin devices, with larger ones having Adr0..23, DATA0..7 and smaller ones with 2 UARTS and 6 PWM, and ADC11 ?

So, seems like new 16 bit uC, with 28-64KF, and ADC, - but which Zilog Core ? A big brother to the Z8MC motor control family ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

The box says Z8ENCORE000ZCO-D. The processor is Z8F. There are also

8 chips labled U5-U12 that are TI 2AE0EJK (top) LVC374A (bottom) that are 2 sided with 10 pins each side.
Reply to
el_squid_2000

Hello,

Z8F is the family prefix. The important figures are just after it. It should be Z8F64x, by the look of it.

Have you searched Google before posting? A quick search gives me this page at Digikey:

There's a link to a manual, and to related parts.

This kit has been discontinued quite obviously, and of course every mention of it (or of any related chip) has disappeared. No trace of any doc on their website -- it seems to be quite a common situation with them...

I can't tell you more, as I'm not an insider. Anyway, it's a pity because it seems to be a very nice dev kit. Good luck with it!

Regards, D.

Reply to
D.

Hello Jim,

Sorry for answerint his way, but for some reason my newsserver didn't get your message, so I copy/pasted it from Google.

Yes, I saw that.

From the look of it, it's just the same core as the eZ80, with a different microcode to be backward compatible with the Z8. The 24bit address bus is a hint (Z8k had 23 bits and 3 address spaces in two modes, eZ80 has 24 bits IIRC), and so is the 8bit data bus: this thing has been made to be 8bit MCU compatible, just like the eZ80.

It's a pity really, the Z8k ISA is really nice and clean, while the Z8's showing its age. Anyway, so let's classify that as a "microcoded Z800 derivative" species and "eZ80 cousin" family, shall we?

It looks like it!

Regards, D.

Reply to
D.

I'm not sure what you mean here

It does have all the peripheral nodes of the Z8FMC Motor Control family, but thus far there are no core details. Zilog do have active, mature tool flows, and proven cores in eZ80 and Z8F, so the prudent thing is to choose one of those. Possibly, they could extend a Z8 to a 16 bit data, which would make an interesting core, but that is a riskier business choice. A morph of Z8FMC peripherals onto an eZ80 core, in their lowest cost process, would seem the most likely.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville