I worked on 8048/8051/8096 about 20 years before. Since then I have not worked on any microcontroller(But I did a lot on Windows device driver, C/C++/C# programming recently). Recently, I try to catch up by looking for what chipset I need to start with. The chipset I like to start with will be:
- kind of "8051" like - what I mean is that it will have LONG life(8051 have exsisted more than 20 years and still kicking!).
- Easy to get (from online like Digi-Key or retailers for small quantity).
- Easy to find interface chip (USB, Internet chip, etc.) and easy to integrated with the interface chips.
- Widely industry use - not just for learning.
- Easy to get help - books, online discussion group, source code library, good vendor supports, etc.
- low price develop tools (for home learning).
Any advice / recommendation?