Which DSP Kit to start with?

hi i wish to start learning DSP and wish to do it practically and hence have decided to purchase a EZ-lite kit from Analog devices. One option is to go in for the old ez-lit kit ADSP21xx or i could go in for a newer model 2199X-HARDWARE EZ-KIT LiteT for Analog Devices ADSP-2199x DSP Family

can someone advise if this choice is good?.Please give any other comments advice

Reply to
harshit

have

Another choice is a Motorola DSP. The reason I mention this is that for around $79 you can get a nice Developer's Starter Kit with a C compiler included.

It would cost you more to learn with a TI DSP, but you can look at the starter kits available from Spectrum Digital if you are interested in a TI DSP.

Have a look at this DSK, I have it and found it useful:

I think that the Motorola or TI DSP's are more commonly used than the AD ones, so that's another reason you may want to study those.

Reply to
Mark

"harshit" wrote in news:bqmf6l$57g$ snipped-for-privacy@gist.usc.edu:

I would avoid the older EZ-Kits. If you purchase only of the newer EZ Kits, you will be learning DSP on a more current part which you might want to use in a design.

Choices:

Fixed Point - 16 Bit:

2191 or Blackfin BF 531/2/3. The Blackfin is mouch more powerful but will be the hardest to learn.

SHARC:

21161 or 21262. I think in many cases, its easier to code a Sharc than the 16 bit processors since you have more powerful instructions, 32 bit precision, floating point and fixed point operations

I would avoid the old 2181 ez kit.

We make a dev kit for our DSP-8300. (ADSP-2186 small DSP function module). The advantage of a DSP-8300 is that you can incorporate the boards into real projects. Details are on our web site.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

"Mark" wrote in news:eCzzb.10662$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

2 out of 3 DSPs are used in cell phones. This certainly distorts the marketshare numbers. If you look at the general purpose DSP market, ADI and TI have about equal share at 30% each. The rest of the players are all smaller and make up the remainder. Motorola is third in the general purpose market and has been loosing marketshare to TI & ADI.

If you look at more specific markets such as digital audio, ADI has become the new dominant provider for new designs. This was a market that was dominated by Motorola.

If you follow comp.dsp you can see that most of the processor specific questions are ADI or TI.

I think the ADI DSPs are much easier to program (especially in assembly). Following Mark's logic, I would probably restrict my chose to either ADI or TI. IMHO, I think ADI is the better choice.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply to
Al Clark

While this is hinted at in Mark's message (above), I think it is worth looking at what sort of market you are aiming to learn about. Some manufacturer's DSPs are used more widely in some markets than others for example.

It's not cheap, but I've used the TMS320C6711 DSK and found it to be quite good.

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Also the comp.dsp newsgroup is probably a better place to get a good answer to your question from.

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

I got that one last week for like $81 (?) off of digikey (canada). It is definitely a fun one to play with.

Reply to
Mr. Foster

Does it come with an assembler?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No, but it comes with a version of Metrowerks CodeWarrior for DSP56800. You can do assembly with it so I presume there is a way, but I didn't want to get that dirty just yet so I've been sticking with C.

Reply to
Mr. Foster

^^ You misspelt "pure" (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I hate to say it, but I don't get it. If you mean pure asm, I suppose you can without the C end of things getting involved, but so long as you use the IDE. Probably not the best solution, eh?

Reply to
Mr. Foster

Do you think the Sharc would be powerful enough to do Realtime audio compression using the speex codec? I have a project that I really want to do. Also how much is a dev system and the chips?

Reply to
David Scribler

David Scribler wrote in news:vu47sr8ngelee8 @corp.supernews.com:

I can't say that I know what a speex codec is but I would be glad to discuss the ADSP-21262 and its capabilities. We are using this part in most of our new projects.

Telephone (507)263-5854 CST USA

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply to
Al Clark

Easily. Even the old ADSP2105 could implement a real time LPC or GSM codec.

Al

David Scribler wrote:

--
Please remove capitalised letters to reply
My apologies for the inconvenience