Which DSP Kit to start with?

hi i wish to start learning DSP and wish to do it practically and hence have
decided to purchase a EZ-lite kit from Analog devices. One option is to go
in for the old ez-lit kit ADSP21xx
or i could go in for a newer model
      2199X-HARDWARE EZ-KIT LiteT for Analog Devices ADSP-2199x DSP Family

can someone advise if this choice is good?.Please give any other comments
advice

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?
have

Another choice is a Motorola DSP.   The reason I mention this is that for
around $79  you can get a nice Developer's Starter Kit with a C compiler
included.
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC56F8300DSK

It would cost you more to learn with a TI DSP,   but you can look at the
starter kits available from Spectrum Digital if you are interested in a TI
DSP.
http://www.spectrumdigital.com /

Have a look at this DSK, I have it and found it useful:
http://www.spectrumdigital.com/cgi/catalog.cgi?show_product76%1119

I think that the Motorola or TI DSP's are more commonly used than the AD
ones, so that's another reason you may want to study those.

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

2 out of 3 DSPs are used in cell phones. This certainly distorts the
marketshare numbers. If you look at the general purpose DSP market, ADI
and TI have about equal share at 30% each. The rest of the players are
all smaller and make up the remainder. Motorola is third in the general
purpose market and has been loosing marketshare to TI & ADI.

If you look at more specific markets such as digital audio, ADI has
become the new dominant provider for new designs. This was a market that
was dominated by Motorola.

If you follow comp.dsp you can see that most of the processor specific
questions are ADI or TI.

I think the ADI DSPs are much easier to program (especially in assembly).
Following Mark's logic, I would probably restrict my chose to either ADI
or TI. IMHO, I think ADI is the better choice.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

While this is hinted at in Mark's message (above), I think it is worth
looking at what sort of market you are aiming to learn about. Some
manufacturer's DSPs are used more widely in some markets than others
for example.

It's not cheap, but I've used the TMS320C6711 DSK and found it to be
quite good.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

I got that one last week for like $81 (?) off of digikey (canada). It is
definitely a fun one to play with.

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

Does it come with an assembler?

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

No, but it comes with a version of Metrowerks CodeWarrior for DSP56800.
You can do assembly with it so I presume there is a way, but I didn't
want to get that dirty just yet so I've been sticking with C.

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC56F8300DSK
                     ^^
               You misspelt "pure" (:

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC56F8300DSK

I hate to say it, but I don't get it. If you mean pure asm, I suppose
you can without the C end of things getting involved, but so long as you
use the IDE. Probably not the best solution, eh?

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

I would avoid the older EZ-Kits. If you purchase only of the newer EZ
Kits, you will be learning DSP on a more current part which you might
want to use in a design.

Choices:

Fixed Point - 16 Bit:

2191 or Blackfin BF 531/2/3.
The Blackfin is mouch more powerful but will be the hardest to learn.

SHARC:

21161 or 21262.
I think in many cases, its easier to code a Sharc than the 16 bit
processors since you have more powerful instructions, 32 bit precision,
floating point and fixed point operations

I would avoid the old 2181 ez kit.

We make a dev kit for our DSP-8300. (ADSP-2186 small DSP function
module).
The advantage of a DSP-8300 is that you can incorporate the boards into
real projects. Details are on our web site.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

Do you think the Sharc would be powerful enough to do Realtime audio
compression using the speex codec?
I have a project that I really want to do.
Also how much is a dev system and the chips?

Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?
@corp.supernews.com:

I can't say that I know what a speex codec is but I would be glad to
discuss the ADSP-21262 and its capabilities. We are using this part in most
of our new projects.

Telephone (507)263-5854 CST USA

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?
Easily. Even the old ADSP2105 could implement a real time LPC or GSM codec.

Al

Please remove capitalised letters to reply
My apologies for the inconvenience
Re: Which DSP Kit to start with?

Also the comp.dsp newsgroup is probably a better place to get a good
answer to your question from.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Site Timeline