suggestions on where to start?

Hi everyone,

So, I've never done anything with embedded systems. I know, vaguely, what they are, but I am looking for more detailed information. Can anyone suggest any good starting points? Thanks.

--Matt

Reply to
matt.singerman

Your question is pretty vague...... to put it nicely!

An embedded system is anything with a Microprocessor that isn't a PC, and are usually under 1 GHz.

What are you trying to do with an embedded system?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi Eric,

Sorry I didn't give more details! I would like to create a very, very, very small system which still maintains reasonable speed, and do it at as low a cost as possible. Think a system that would be powerful enough to load linux and run an application not unlike zsnes, be able to read and write data from flash memory, receive input from a keyboard and have a video out. My main goal is to avoid using a hard drive of any sort - that adds in a lot of energy consumption, slows things down, and adds cost. Am I even being realistic here?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
matt.singerman

very,

at

able

keyboard

down,

You might want to have a look at

Lanarcam

Reply to
Scott Moore

Very ambitious if you are new to embedded systems. You'd be better off starting with something simple like a small PIC or AVR system. I've got some examples on my web site.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

It appears that you are describing something close to a general purpose computer system.

An "embedded system" is, to me, a microcontroller or microcomputer systems hidden inside some other equipment, so that the user of that equipment is not really aware of the computer. For example, modern cars have many embedded systems (engine control computers, anti-skid braking systems, etc...) hidden within them.

I don't think a system that "can load linux and run an application" describes an embedded system - but it might be a "dedicated computer system" (I don't know what "zsnes" is).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Maybe I could post snarky and otherwise useless messages on usenet, then sit back and enjoy my smug sense of self-worth?

Reply to
matt.singerman

And for extra credit,

Computer Science is to Embedded Systems as :

A) Burger flipping is to liberal arts.

B) Waiting tables is to English.

C) Landscaping is to PolySci.

D) Unemployment is to History.

E) All of the above.

F) I want to kill myself.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

How 'bout

? Dunno how to do TV out, but it comes with Linux and apache already loaded. 200 or 400 MHz CPU, costs $100-$185, the size of a large pack of gum...

-Ben

--
I am Ben Cantrick. I still think the AnimEigo BGC dubs suck.
To foil spammers, no e-mail adress will be given here. (Spammers also suck.)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mackys

Circuit Cellar magazine Philips arm7 lpc2xxx design contest

The board they are giving away is a keil mcb2130 without jtag debugger

Nice board(worth US$150) or chips local distributor sells the keil board for Aus$272

compilers

commerical limited editions

16KB limit for keil compiler, none for gcc (can select which one to use under options)

IAR Kickstart edition has a limit of 32KB

Imagecraft

45 days then 10KB offer an extension if you use it in the contest and chance to win a license

Cross works (gcc + ide)

free compilers

plain gnu arm

mac , win or linux + links to resources

or gnu arm

gnu arm + eclipse

how to set them up

I prefer the keil ide + gcc or gcc + eclipse ide

For programming

The serial programmer from Philips is easy to use and works well over rs232

the lpc213x chips have a serial bootloader

links for datasheets

Alex Gibson

Yes, if you've a bit of Windows or better DOS experience. Get Ecos (free) and the book about it (some tens of dollars). Use an old PC as a development platform, and enjoy yourself.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this link, it's actually really neat. After reading over the nice (and not-so-nice) comments on this thread, I've realized I may be barking up the wrong tree, and am instead going to break out my old circuit design books. Assuming I can find them. It's been, oh, eight years since I last did anything like that. Thanks, though, for the cool link.

--Matt

Reply to
matt.singerman

IIRC. There's a free version as well.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I know how to get the
                                  at               hostesses released! Give
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

ZNES is a super nintendo emulator. If the OP wants to make a portable SNES, he's better off buying a GBA and saving the time. As cool as it would be to build your own, you've goto to consider the time plus the costs of bandwidth from being slahsdotted if it works.

Reply to
Magnus McElroy