Smallest MS-DOS computer?

Hi there,

I am looking for the smallest possible MS-DOS computer with these features:

- Reasonably good SVGA (VESA-compatible) output

- SB-compatible audio

- Ethernet (would need to be compatible with a DOS packet driver)

- USB would be optional, but nice

Processor speed is rather irrelevant, but obviously should be 100% x86 compatible.

I've seen a lot of embedded systems without audio or SVGA, but none with all of the above.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would ideally like something no larger than a mac mini, but also no more than $200.

Thanks!

-T

Reply to
Tangier

The VIA Artigo Pico-ITX kit has all of those features, but typically sells for about $300.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

s:

Have a look at the Norhtec MicroClient family (also sold as eBox-3300/4300) have analog video, audio (not sure if it is SB compatible), ethernet and 3xUSB2.0. Prices start at US$140 + shipping. You need to add either a CF card or laptop IDE disk to install the OS to (or you could use a USB drive).

Dimensions and Weight 115 x 115 x 35 mm, 505g

and

I have the JrSX model running Linux.

Reply to
David Wilson

Beware. While there are some highly desirable small PCs out there there may NOT be DOS drivers available for the hardware.

James

Reply to
James Harris

But the above caveat is probably very important & something you may not get a sensible answer from the manufacturer on so would need testing. Has anyone ever put USB support in DOS?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

There is freedos with GPL'd source code so you can customise and recompile to whatever the minimum feature set you require.

7

JeffM

Do a web search on [ PC104 ]

Do a web saerch on [ "Pico ITX" ] (with the quotes).

Try using FreeDOS instead of MS-DOS.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Well, "anyone" has, but Microsoft hasn't. So the validity of any answer depends on how strictly the OP expected us to treat the label "MS-DOS".

There is no such things as USB support in actual MS-DOS, but there are extensions and reimplementations of the DOS API that have USB support.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for microcontrollers.  More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

features:

I don't know if it runs MS-DOS, but you might want to have a look at the Viglen MPC-L - the hardware looks like a good fit (though I don't know for

sure).

Reply to
srl100

Try boards from PCEngines

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

True, however we may be getting to the point where a practical solution would consist of arbitrary hardware running linux (with supporting drivers) and a dox-box-emulator on top of that. My EeePC seems to run dos games pretty well that way, for example. And it could potential mean freedom to use a non x86 chip, too...

Reply to
cs_posting

There is Beck at

and they have a whole PC in a single BGA chip. Look for their SC1x3 Family

Rene

Tangier wrote:

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Interesting - Do they make their own CPU chips, or do they come from elsewhere ?

-jg

Reply to
-jg

We use the eBox2300SX from DMP in Taiwan. See

The current version has no FPU, but there's a new version with FPU and much higher speed in the offing. Since you want USB and Ethernet, Linux may be a better option. DMP offer XLinux for free.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

Any numbers/links on the newer model ?

-jg

Reply to
-jg

The ebox-3300 is the FPU enabled version of the ebox-2300sx (also it is faster (1GHz vs 366MHz) and has more RAM (256MB vs 128MB) and SD card support).

This is the same box Norhtec sells as the MicroClient JrDX.

The SoC is made by DMP

David Wilson