Boring old connectors -- 7.5A, smallest possible

So, I'm looking for the smallest possible connector that's rated for 7.5A or more.

This one is looking OK:

The size is reasonable for my application, but the mating housing only takes up to 18-gauge wire. It's going to a battery and we can have a really short pigtail to reduce losses -- but mo' is better.

Any suggestions, or should I just quit while I'm ahead?

Danke.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Do you need many cycles of use? That sort of connector likes to have the plastic part slide off the pins if you fuss with it too much.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

We use tons of similar TE connectors.

They snap together and work fine. We have a gun that shoots the wires into the jack.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hmm. That hasn't happened to me. At any rate, no. It's for a rechargeable battery, so maybe one cycle every year or two.

I got the thing onto my board, and "kinda nice" turned into "gawd that's huge". But, I'm not sure I'm going to find anything smaller.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

the mini-fit's are rated at 13A But, they look slightly larger.

Martin Riddle

I checked the table of current versus gauge, and 18 AWG is plenty for

7.5A, it's rated to 16A.

You might look into the connectors used by RC cars, planes, drones. They are for pretty high current. But not as small as what you found.

sms

That connector has to be hand-soldered into a plated-through hole, and it puts any cable stress onto the printed wiring. The original Macintosh used similar connectors onto single-sided boards, and it was NOT reliable, the solder joint developed ring cracks.

I'd consider the humble spade connector, and wire a pigtail to the circuit board, secured with cable-ties for strain relief. Two cable ties, with one strain is off the solder, but the cable can still rotate and flex the joints.

Reply to
whit3rd