Small footprint embedded browser

I see numerous sites claiming they have millions of installations of their
embedded browsers on all sorts of OSs, but I have yet to come across somebody
who can say they've used one of those embedded browser on, say linux, without X.
They claim it can be done, but who's done it?

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt              91387-4454             snipped-for-privacy@Quitt.net

Re: Small footprint embedded browser
Look for lynx (text only)

Wim

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

My memory might trick me, but I think I once saw a libvga base
browser.
---
42Bastian
Re: Small footprint embedded browser
without X.

I have used Links (not lynx :) on libsvga, with some enjoyment :
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links /. Very full-featured.

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

Appreciated.  It's a little under-featured for our use, as best I can
tell.

We have a 320x240 LCD display that has to be set in the hardware as
640x480 because of the timing required.

The browser must:

Know that it's really 320x240.

Operate in Kiosk mode (no menu or elevator bars, graphic area only).

Have Java script, and in the near future allow Java, Flash, Macromedia,
etc.

Allow displaying text on top of graphics.

Function without a hardware keyboard or mouse; display no mouse cursor.

Accept programmatic input for URLs and mouse clicks.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _

Wim

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

It is so, http://www.picsel.com/picselproducts.html

  Vadim

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

Why do you need a 'browser' for this? As there is no keyboard/mouse/any
input, you could just as well do the browsing on a PC and upload a image
to the device (instead of the url) each time you want to update the screen.

Wumpus

Re: Small footprint embedded browser
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:30:37 +0100, Wumpus

The device shows a slide show, where images change every few seconds, in a
loop.  Several hundred of these connected would heavily burden a host.  It
would also require special software on the host, and that's a no-no.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _
Kevin D Quitt  USA 91387-4454         96.37% of all statistics are made up
Re: Small footprint embedded browser

Why didn't you just buy the thing ready-made from us, then? ;)
http://www.digi-frame.com /

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com /)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Probably because you don't have most of the hardware we need, a lot of
hardware we don't need, same for software, and you cost ten times as much
as our product.  Other than that...

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _
Kevin D Quitt  USA 91387-4454         96.37% of all statistics are made up
Re: Small footprint embedded browser
and the other 40.3% are suspect

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

Your products cost only $19.90? Hmm :)
There are a lot of products not on our website, which were developed for
various OEM projects (most of which never happened... but the stuff still
works)

Re: Small footprint embedded browser

I went to your site, saw a lot of minor variations on a theme, found a lot of
broken links for people who sell your stuff, and the only price I saw was about
$2K.  Our board costs $40.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt              91387-4454             snipped-for-privacy@Quitt.net
           96.37% of all statistics are made up

Re: Small footprint embedded browser
Hi Kevin,

A quick patch to Links will achieve this.

Links will display a single line at the top of the screen, indicating the
current URL. I patched it not to show this.

Links has Javascript, the others - especially Flash - I'd call anathema to
an "embedded" browser! Flash support on Linux is exceedingly poor. You have
the following three ways to play Flash on Linux:

1. Use "the" PD player, open-source, which only supports Flash 2 or below
(higher Flash versions may or may not play according to what features they
use).

2. Use the Macromedia standalone player, which is very buggy and requires
that you modify the Flash animations slightly if you want them to play
fullscreen without a blank window on top of them.

3. Use the Macromedia-supplied Netscape plugin, using which is an exercise
in applied pain. I happen to have Hellraiser, Hellbound, Hell on Earth,
Bloodline, Inferno and Hellseeker (i.e. Hellraiser movies I-VI) on the
computer next to me, and there is not a single torture in any of them more
exquisite than trying to interface with Netscape plugins. I wrestled and
tussled and struggled and strived, and then heroically gave up and went with
option 1 (though I do give users the option of downloading and installing
option 2 themselves).

If you want truly embedded Flash then 3 is your only real option.

I didn't explicitly try this with Links.

Links does this (I had the same requirement).

This is no difficulty. What exactly is the hardware generating these inputs,
though?! If there is no pointing device and no keyboard, what do you have
that wouldn't be easier to implement as a simulation of one of those two
peripherals?

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (http://www.zws.com /)
Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!
Re: Small footprint embedded browser

I'd say: Get it, expand it and contribute your expansion back !
---
42Bastian
Re: Small footprint embedded browser
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:20:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (42Bastian Schick)

Me too.  I know nothing about browsers and their mysteries (my specialty
is embedded hard-realtime ultra-reliable software).  I could learn, but we
have to demo in six weeks.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _
Kevin D Quitt  USA 91387-4454         96.37% of all statistics are made up
Re: Small footprint embedded browser

You can do in less than that.  Just go down the local computer store
and buy a Pocket PC.  ~200.

Get one with ethernet card and/or USB that can talk to your embeded
device.  You should be able to any customer software running demo in
that PPC in 1.5
weeks.

You can do it even faster if you're windows programmmers.

--
SLink hyperlinks all functions, macros, variables from thousands
of src file together.  Browse hyperlinked source code for .NET CLI,