Silly question on ARM compiler

I am using ADS 1.2 and have some question. I have tried to use WaitForSingleObject as I did when I coded WinCE driver and found that it is just Win32 API and not supported by ADS. Then what I should use to wait for event? This may be a silly question but please answer. Thanks.

Reply to
JY Kim

ADS is a development system- an IDE, a compiler, a debugger. The function you want belongs to the operating system on the target. What OS are you using?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Reply to
JY Kim

That function is a Windows API function, I think it's a thread synchronization call. Find out how your OS will handle thread sync, learn how to use the APIs.

Reply to
larwe

I guess you've come into the embedded world from the PC application world - things are very different here and you have to think about software in a different way.

Leaving the ADS libraries aside for a moment then without the OS all you have is the language itself and nothing extra. There is no SingleObject for you to WaitFor until you write the code for it.

ADS will have libraries as well which will give you extra functions for maths and dynamic memory allocation (best avoided in embedded systems).

Once you get an OS then you will have the API which comes with it but it might not have exactly the function you are looking for or it might be called something else. Read the documentation that comes with it.

Until you get an OS then you'll have to find another way to do what you want to do and it will need more knowledge than just calling an API. Do it. It will make you a better person!

Reply to
Tom Lucas

The libraries offer more than that as well, I sould add. But not often up to OS level (although Rowley's library provides that sort of thing).

Reply to
Tom Lucas