question about Putty

I'm using Putty to talk through a serial port to a dumbish device, sort of glass teletype mode.

That works. But if I'm in the serial session, can I grab a local text file and shoot it to the device, instead of typing a huge block of text?

The Putty documentation is not helping me much here.

lunatic fringe electronics

A reasonably powerful, free PuTTY alternative:

Extensive cut & paste facilities along with (probably too) many other features: many other protocols, drag & drop SCP, X server and so on.

--
Cheers,
Chris.

I just found/loaded Realterm, which looks a lot more obvious than Putty. I don't have the gadget here at home, but I'll try that tomorrow.

Moba looks sort of complex. I'll try that if Realterm doesn't work for me.

Or I'll write my own in PowerBasic.

lunatic fringe electronics

No. Putty comes with Plink, which will send files, but uses the command line, not a GUI. See:

If you need a GUI to do the sending, then I suggest using a different terminal emulator.

Incidentally, try right clicking the mouse on the Putty title bar for a list of useful functions. Unfortunately, none of them is how to send a text file.

Documentation? I don't read no stinkin documentation.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Realterm is quite good, but a little clumsy and overly complex for many tasks as I remember it (it's been many years since I used it). For Windows, I mainly use Tera Term. There are a few versions around, but you can get it from .

Putty is popular mainly as a ssh client for Windows - I have rarely seen it used for a serial terminal.

Reply to
David Brown

For a not-too-large file, you can open the file in notepad or wordpad, Ctrl-A Ctrl-C there, then go to the Putty window and paste it (right mouse button).

Of course that will cause problems when it is very big or when the receiving device cannot handle input at full rate. More advanced terminal emulators (as others pointed out) have facilities to upload files, slowdown after each character and/or line, etc.

Reply to
Rob

1+ for Tera Term, I use it daily, usually multiple instances.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Click your right mouse button to paste characters /from/ the Clipboard onto PuTTY's screen. Use your left mouse button to highlight and copy character's from PuTTY's screen /into/ the Clipboard. The mouse click copy-and-paste behavior is verified by me to work in Windows. PuTTY's behavior outside of Windows (eg in Unix) is unknown to me.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

Now that you mention it, I have a Putty question too. (Can I hijaak your thread temporarily?) :)

All I want in Putty is the ability to CLEAR SCREEN before I write one page. I've tried several terminal emulations and none of them seem to work the way I remember them. Admittedly, it's been a while... :)

I can HOME the cursor in any of several emulations. But short of writing a bunch of blank lines and then HOME, nothing else "works".

I almost can't believe I long for the days of Hazeltine & TeleVideo 925's. Ha!!

Reply to
mm

Ancient DOS file transfer joke noted. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

Phil Hobbs

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 11/16/2017 12:49 AM:

Are you sure? It has been a while but I'm pretty sure I've done exactly what John is asking for with Putty. It's nice because it runs on both Linux and Windows. He is not talking about transferring a file from one computer to the other, he wants to dump a file of commands through the serial port to the target to save typing.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Yep ;-) I remember hijaak. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

TT looks simple. Can it shoot a text file out the serial port?

lunatic fringe electronics

I need to load 16 serial DACs, each with a pretty ugly Linux command

dac_load 1A 512 dac_load 1B 1023 etc

and I want to exercize various scenarios. Copying and pasting from an editor window would work just fine. I could do that in, say, two

8-line chunks if 16 chokes things up.

Thanks; I'll try that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes. Click 'File' then 'Send File' then select the file to send.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I'm 93.281% sure that it can't be done. I tried it on my XP desktop with a 9600 baud serial connection to my Ubuntu box. I couldn't upload or send an ASCII text test file. I did some Googling and found the above article which addresses JL's question. However, I didn't have time to RTFM, so there's a possibility that I may have missed something.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Putty emulates either a vt100 or an ANSI terminal. Probably ANSI X.364. These use escape sequences to control the cursor and screen. To clear the screen, send: ESC[2J ESC is the escape character.

However, that's for a full screen terminal. If you're stuck with a line by line system, just send 25 line feed characters, which will clear the screen by pushing everything off the top of the screen.

I can't believe I can remember this junk from the stone age of computing. I used to make good money fixing Teletype machines, Wyse

60 terminals, and daisy wheel printers. Now, all I want to do is forget all that to make room in my memory bank for new things.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

This thread got me thinking about my own PuTTY habits on my field kit Vista "beater." Typically PuTTY and a FTDI RS-232 dongle are only used long enough to talk a console port into enabling sshd. Then cygwin ssh is used afterward for the remainder of the conversation. BSD tip is used in my lab. So, why not just use tip in both places? That way, you can focus on one serial comm app instead of two. You can also use cygwin dd to "shoot a local text file to the device."

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

It may not be suitable for a dumbish device but I use WinSCP

when I want to manipulate files on a remote host. And PuTTY for command line access.

Then I can use a standard text editor on the Windows side (Notepad++) and not concern myself with vi, nano and other assorted editors on the remote side.

Reply to
John Smith

This is what happened when I tried the right-click paste text thing in Putty:

so I guess I'll try something else.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com