NXP-- WTF?

Okay, so Philips has spun off their semiconductor division (apparently as a whole, unlike Motorola's bifurcated spinoff) into something called NXP, with a glitzy campaign now underway.

If you like some neutral-accented dude named "Steve" who needs his hair combed and movies of people leaping around surging ribbons of somewhat sickly colors:

(and links to hi-res photos of beaming executives)

Or their real website:

Any thoughts as to what this means to the future of Philips semiconductors, and to their high-end microcontrollers in particular?

I'm guessing we might see less emphasis on the low margin parts like jellybean discretes.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have just two thoughts right now:

1) Why didn't they pick a name instead of an acronym? Also, the letters "XP" remind too many people of a company they don't like in Redmond. 2) Will they fix their disfunctional website? I see they have a light-blue on white scheme now, and that's hard to read. They also have AJAX updates and that's a good sign. Now if their new search mechanism works well that will be a good improvement.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Never seen such a tiny font. It is totally unreadable.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Don't people wear ties anymore when they are trying to flog you something? Maybe if they replaced Steve with Stephanie then they could get more interest?

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Steve *is* Stephanie, on weekends.

Reply to
larwe

..the font size can be enlarged in your browser, unlike other brain-dead sites where the font size is fixed.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

That would explain the hair then...

Reply to
Tom Lucas

..and they STILL don't post info on the LPC3180...

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Indeed. On most browsers, just hold down the key and spin the mouse wheel to make the print bigger or smaller... If the site is poorly designed then pictures or ads may overlap the text, but most don't do that (The London FT is one that needs to get their "site" together). It also prevents Firefox's Imagezoom plugin (hold key plus mouse wheel) from working properly on the pictures.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Gene S. Berkowitz" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net...

So I noticed. I bought a new keyboard the other day, logitex LX710, and it has zoom buttons on the lefthand side. Well, that fixed the font size ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Jeorg will not be impressed.

They appear to have smeared another layer of shit on top of Philips original webcode to make things even more broken.

Sign of the times....... Like the Russian bloke said, as he was beating the shit out of 'his' shuttle with a big spanner. 'All made in Taiwan!'

I see this happening more and more as the 'moneywankers' offload something that is becoming unprofitable somewhere else and the buyers (because they are marginally more stupid than the sellers) believe they can squeeze just a little bit more profit out of it.

What the investment situation might be is only not worth a guess. Chances are someone's bought up the factories and will run them down until the significant bolts fall of things.

It's not that the relative ratio of Thick to Shit has become any different, they just think they are worth more because someone else gets more by telling them they are.

All we really need is enough Leeks to feed ourselves and everything will be fine.

However, I know for a fact that the Welsh Development Board only allows export of half Leek and half Leaf. They keep the good, full Leek, ones for themselves.

Anyway...... I'll give it eighteen months and then it'll get sold to Vishay.

'Am I bovered? Do I look Like I'm Bovvered? Are you telling me I'm Bovvered? Text me I am bovvered. I am not bovvered.'

DNA

Reply to
Genome

SEP 01, 2006 07:53:12 AM Philips Semiconductor unveiled its new name Thursday, becoming NXP after

50 years as the semiconductor division of the Dutch electronics conglomerate.

NXP stands for "Next Experience," the company said in a statement. The name was changed after a group of private equity firms led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR) bought an 80.1 percent stake in the company. Bain Capital, Silver Lake Partners, Apax and AlpInvest Partners worked with KKR on the deal, and Koninklijke Philips Electronics retained a

19.9 percent stake in the chip maker. Frans van Houten will continue as the company's chief executive officer.

The new shareholders will invest 1 billion euros (US$1.28 billion) in research and development, the company said, but did not specify over what period. The company will maintain its headquarters in Europe, with a total of about 37,000 employees in 20 countries.

-Steven Schwankert, IDG News Service (Beijing Bureau)

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Eric writes

It ISN'T an acronym, juts a Cabalistic symbol, because an acronym must be pronounceable, but it might be 'Now eX Philips'.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Pretty much. I wonder why they think they have to advertise themselves as having "an aim to support out customers mission by creating next generation technologies that enable compelling sensory experiences for conusumers" rather than just "we aim to build some leading edge ICs at competitive prices supporting the following markets: xxx xxx ..."-- I suppose the average investor today isn't expected to be particularly educated, but personally I get put off hearing someone tell me how much better my "sensory experiences"are going to be when they're just trying to sell me an SA602...

NXP... "next experience"... cute... I wonder how long some marketdroid was staring at his Windows XP desktop before coming up with that?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

The requirement for acronyms to be pronounceable is contentious. The classic self-referencing acronym TLA (three-letter acronym) is not.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Well, there you go then.... 'The New Shareholders'.

Someone sucked a load of money out of someone elses pension funds, using their friends in the markets, and will now pay themselves and friends a wage for R&D of how much you can pay yourself before someone notices that you are not doing R&D but your topbosswank wage is quite nice..

After this particular phase they will come back to the market for a couple of three or ten times times with script issues and then dilute the value with some other major 'investor' as they draw down loans to pay their wages to pay for more R&D into just how much you can pay yourself whilst, in real terms, being totally ineffectual.

Then they will sell it to Vishay to operate the factories until the WD40 doesn't work any more and it's all made in Taiwan with people on the mainland who don't mind so we get to eat that shit Europeon cheese.

I am so reassured.

Do I look like I am reasurred? Do I sound like I am Reassured. Am I reassured? Am I bovvered? Do you think I should be bovvered? Are you saying that if I was bovverred it would make a difference? Are you trying to sell me car insurance? Am I bovverred?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep

2006, Genome writes

Not in a million years! I wouldn't sell ME car insurance, if you were anywhere near. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Joel Kolstad writes

It's the Emperor's new clothes all over again. And corporations NEVER learn. I bet they paid USD 166666.67 for each letter.

But if someone in the company came up with it, even if it was accepted, they'd just get a USD500 bonus. Been there....

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Wal*Mart has figured this out... most of the models in their circulars are now Wal*Mart employees themselves!

Why pay for professional models when you can get your own people to do it for $10/hr?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I wonder what they paid to buy that 3-letter .com domain name.