Fluke has lost their mind

Some of their handheld DVMs are over $400.

Reply to
john larkin

Sometimes I also question their design decisions. I have the Fluke 8845A bench meter. It puts out around 10V (!) in the ohms ranges. That will easily blow reverse Vbe of a modern RF transistor which is often 2-3V abs max. Some might just zener and still kind of work but their noise figure and possibly hfe might then be shot. The old annealing trick by crunching a burning cigarette butt on top of the transistor won't work well anymore since they are flea-sized plastic packages, and almost nobody smokes anymore.

My cheapo Harborfreight meter applies less than 300mV. So right now on an RF board I am using a $5 meter because the $1000+ meter isn't up to the job.

At the very least I'd have expected Fluke to provide aselectable lower voltage while sacrificing accuracy. Being off by 0.1% in the ohms range sure beats blowing an unobtanium RF part.

Reply to
Joerg

I paid $275 for an original crispy flavor(*) Fluke 87 in about 1989.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) apologies to the late Jim Thompson

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I should add that I'm very fond of these DMM probes:

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[...]

When Fluke took over Philips Instruments, they tried to sell me a replacement for my Philips PM2518. The salesman was talking rubbish about the Philips putting out RFI on the test leads and the Fluke 'specification' sheet was just a glossy advert full of glib phrases that were obviously designed to cover up the limitations of their meter.

I wrote to their technical department requesting a proper specification sheet and received another copy of the advertisment - so I wrote again saying "Have received advertisment, now please send specification as requested".

The next day I got a 'phone call from their chief salesman. He was furious and told me I was a fool not to buy one of their meters and nobody expected a specification sheet that showed up where the meter might lose accuracy (the Philips specification *booklet* had graphs to show the areas of greatest and least accuracy). What a way to treat a potential customer!

I bought another Philips before Fluke could stop their production.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

I was just probing a very tight board with a sewing needle.

Reply to
john larkin

torsdag den 9. november 2023 kl. 23.58.20 UTC+1 skrev john larkin:

that is basically what these are,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes these are very good probes, but the reverse banana style for the very old Simpsons didn't fit.

Martin Rid

Darned board. ;)

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cool, a $1300 handheld DVM.

john larkin

Imagine cutting the needle in two, splinting it back together but bridging the gap with a 950 ohm 0603 resistor, and soldering a coax center to the top end. You now have a tiny many-GHz 10:1 probe.

At most signal levels, such probes don't need a ground.

Reply to
john larkin