MDB and DEX protocol specifications

Hi all,

I'm having a frustrating time locating official, complete specifications on the above two protocols. I don't mind [my client] paying for them, but I want authoritative documents. Anyone know where these can be obtained?

In fact, I can't work out if DEX is actually a nailed-down standard or just an acronym used to describe auditing functionality that can be carried out in numerous different and utterly nonstandard ways. All the documents I've read on it are very vague and fuzzy; they talk about the possibility of using a serial port or GSM module or Bluetooth or Ethernet.

(MDB is the Multi-Drop Bus interface used for bill validators, smartcard readers and coin changers, and DEX is Data EXchange, a protocol/interface used for auditing vending machines).

Reply to
larwe

... NAMA handles all the vending standarts in the US:

They seem to have released both MDP and DEX specs for free. See

for details

Mikhail

P.S. - Just of curios, what is your project about?

Reply to
Mikhail A

Thanks!

Almost a year ago now, I designed a simple controller for a candy vending machine (it's a bit more than just simple vending; the product is actually made in front of the user - the user gets to select and blend different flavors and sees the ingredients mixed, compressed into a solid shape and packed in front of him). The client wants many bells and whistles added, including MDB and DEX support.

Reply to
larwe

Actually, I take back my enthusiasm - eva has a link back to NAMA for the MDB spec, NAMA has a link back to eva for the DEX specs, neither actually has anything available for download despite saying the specs are now free.

(eva's page comes up as mostly blank with some broken image links in it).

Grrrr.

Reply to
larwe

NAMA used to sell the spec for $35. Bad news, it seems to be free now :)

see

There are many vendors, they all try to push their proprietary protocol, but many also support mdb. Mars is the best (and in a long tradition of bad US marketing is trying to go out of business by charging too much). ICT and Moneycontrols and more also have mechs. Mechs are surprisingly (to me) expensive.

Have fun transfering 9 bit bytes!

There is no "x" in my email address.

Reply to
Steve Calfee