Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

Does anyone have a source (or design) for a CF reader with a SPI interface? An alternative would be a card that had at least 256M Bytes of SDRAM.

The SPI interface on this card would be configured as a slave.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

interface?

CF is quite fast but transfer speed will be decrased by SPI. That's why it's better to use MMC cards,which can work without problems with SPI bus.

Dominik Domanski d_domanski@NO_SPAMtlen.pl

Reply to
Dominik DomaƱski

"Dominik Domañski" wrote in news:dkvu3u$t4f$ snipped-for-privacy@srv.cyf-kr.edu.pl:

I certainly recognize that SPI is going to limit the transfer speeds possible. The advantage to SPI is that it is available. The other possibility from my perspective is a high speed serial port (SPORT, not a UART).

I want to interface to a DSP where I don't have a parallel data bus available.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply to
Al Clark

Ah, Blackfin.

You might consider using a PIC? There are a number of CF designs (hardware and software) floating around for a PIC (e.g.

You might slightly adapt one of those and the SPI interface on the PIC. You'd have to proxy the various I/O operations (with some intelligence) between SPICF. [Replace PIC with AVR/8051 depending on personal preference.]

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

"Andrew Jackson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

I looked at MMC/SD cards for the first time today. These cards are incredibily easy to interface with a SPI port. I guess I will probably forget about CF cards.

I also was referred to a part (Fatfile) that Saelig

sells that alloes SPI to IDE and other interfaces.

Thanks for all the comments.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply to
Al Clark

"Andrew Jackson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

Close, actually SHARC.

I thought of this idea as well but I think I would probably use an FPGA instead just to make the interface fast. The advantage to CF is that it can be much faster than MMC. With a SPORT, I can transfer raw data at

50Mbit/sec.
--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff
Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply to
Al Clark

You also minimize the amount of extra circuitry that you need.

That's neat: ARM not PIC.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

Yes, I should have read your website first.

When I used CF cards I found quite a wide variation in the (write) speeds: ultimately you are dependent on the controller on the card.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson