How to (8051 microcontroller) - newbie

Hi,

I would like to try out the projects in the book "Microcontroller Projects in C for the 8051". The book provides the hardware circuit and code for the project. As a newbie in microcontroller, how to transfer the code to the

8051 (the book did not provide this information) ?

Any pointer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, YC

Reply to
YC

Most probably you have to have a parallel programmer to do that, Hi Lo systems is very popular in my country.

the

Reply to
MArk

In article , YC writes

Use a flash based 51 (see the Atmel and Philips ranges) Many have ISP Which is programming vis the serial port. There are app notes for this on the web sites. Only a few components are required and it saves having an eprom programmer.

Regards Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

A RAM based controller board will allow you download code and test with.

I have used many of these boards over the years.

I am currently using one now for development, alltho the target CPU will be a MSC1210 .

( no affiliation just a very satisfied user. )

Reply to
hamilton

In article , hamilton writes

Many of the 8051s are flash based and ISP which means they are programed through the serial port (with the free SW from the Silicon vendors) with no additional programmer or parts needed.

This is a good one if you need the peripherals

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I also vote for ISP programming it is great and works great.

Best regards, Mickey.

Reply to
Mickey

So do Analog Devices and Cygnal.

-- Regards, Albert

(916) 780-7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

This is not an advertising forum.

If you look at the book in question it uses a simple 8051 from Atmel as an example. There are some equivalent Philips parts available.

The Analog Devices 51's are more complex and expensive (as are the dev kits) and are more aimed at people wanting ADCs. They are not what is needed in this case.

The Cygnal are also nice parts but use a different debug system using their own HW. Again they are not what is needed in this case.

I am sure that when the original poster has finished doing the examples in the book he will move on to which ever of the 51 family suits his purpose.

I don't mind company reps giving advice on this NG as long as it is balanced and accurate. I do get fed up with blatant advertising without attempting to address the problem. That is what gets technical sales people a bad name.

There is a wonderful comment on finding and buying parts and dev kits in Lewin Edwards's book on embedded systems on a shoe string. It's on ARM and Linux. His advice is to bypass sales reps as they will always try and sell you what is on their line card regardless of if it is the right thing for the job. I tend to agree in general. There are some honourable exceptions.