8051

hi I want to interface two stepper motors with 8051. Actually i want to make one kit in which 8051 is interfaced with two stepper motors. I want to control rpm, direction of rotation of the motors. Please give me some information about this and if possible schenatic also.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Reenamu

  1. Determine what kind of stepper motors you have (hint: count the wires, then Google).
  2. Read up on how they work (hint: Google).
  3. Design or copy an interface circuit (hint: Google).
  4. Develop or adapt the software (hint: Google).
  5. Enjoy.
Reply to
zwsdotcom

I would recommend using AVR or PIC variants which have PWM modules built in. This is necessary for accurate control of stepper motors. These channels work independent of the CPU so, with very little effort good job can be done.

happy hunting

mak

Reply to
mansoor.naseer

Why would you think that?

Robert

Reply to
sub2

Reenamu schrieb:

Read the datasheets for the ST chips L297 and L298 (and maybe L293).

  Klaus Rotter * klaus at rotters dot de * www.rotters.de
Reply to
Klaus Rotter

You will need power drivers anyway, so smarter is to buy smart drivers!

Go to

and look for ones that match your Motor specs. Micro Stepping is good, and Step/Dirn interfaces slash your engineering time.

Digikey stocks these : something like the A3967 ? - Dual, 8 microstep SO24, Step/Dirn just $2.75 one off.

simple really....

-jg

Reply to
-jg

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:01:59 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

No, it is not necessary. People were controlling stepper motors with

8051 family micros without PWM units long before either PIC or AVR existed. People including me.

If you could not do it that way, that is a reflection on your experience and/or ability, not on the 8051.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

I think the respondent is alluding to using the PWM generators for microstepping for extra precision. Whether the OP needs that or not is a question for the OP to answer.

And yes, you can drive a stepper just fine without either microstepping or a PWM.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

The way I see it PWM can also be used to control power in the motor. To step fast you need to put a lot of volts across the windings to counter the induction but when holding still you don't want to fry. Motors for stepping fast usually have low resistance and low holding voltages while motors for holding things in place have higher winding resistance and working volts - I thing here about the difference between 4-wire two phase motors and 6-wire two-phase motors.

I have done high presision microstepping before but used analog drive circuitry (~200usteps/step on 200 pole motor). PWM for driving pumps and rotating carousels.

...but I'm no expert o that sort of thing, just one of those things needed to get the job done. In fact I'd like some pointers on estimating performance possible...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

Why when the OP asks about 8051 where many of the multi source 600+ variants of 8051 have a wide choice of PWM?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H