Microcontroller for ENC28J60

Hi, I am considering using an ENC28J60 to provide ethernet access for m project; however, I am required to build a separate board for m microcontroller. Can you guys suggest a microcontroller which is easies (in terms of interfacing and coding) to use to drive the enc28j60? looked at PIC because they offer royalty-free tcp/ip stack code but I' not familiar with them I don't even know if a separate device is needed t program it with a pc (icd2? is that a software or hardware?). I know how t code Z8 encore!, its fairly straight forward to code (only needs rs23 connection) but I don't have the time to write the code for tcp/ip sinc its not the focus of the project. Thanks!

Reply to
sani_figs

Can you guys suggest a microcontroller which is easiest

I would go for PIC-s. TCP/IP stack is of good quality and low level interface is done for You. And You have a chance to get familiar with another architecture. You need icd2 which is programer/serial debuger and a C compiler which You can buy or download a student time limited edition. If You don't wanna buy icd2 You can use some of those home made programmers out there.

No problemo :)

Reply to
Maki

If you know the low-end Zilogs, the Zilog ez80F91 should be easiest for you to learn. A 10/100 Ethernet MAC is built-in into the processor, you'll have to add a PHY. The ZTP stack has many protocols built-in - http, smtp, snmp, ppp, ftp, ntp, dhcp, ... and is free.

Otherwise there are many people who have used the Microchip part with an AVR controller. At the moment I only find two links.

(German,sorry)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

Royalty free TCP/IP written in C with English comments. Microcontroller indusstry standard Ethernet controller onboard. Ultra-popular AT89C51ED2 controller. Cheap USD$79.00 What else do you want?

Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.

--
32°02'14.23"S 115°53'21.30"E
http://www.review-a-gadget.com/

Hi

I wanted to use the ENC28J60 also for the same reasons, also had to thro in a micro so decided to rather go for the PIC18F97J60 which basically ha the silicon of the ENC28J60 integrated on chip. I works wonderfully.

Nico

Reply to
Nico Admin