GSM module + microcontroller, video through GPRS

Hello,

I'd like to build a system, which main purpose is transmitting video fro video camera to mobile phone/PDA in real time. I'm wondering if it i possible to get satisfactory quality and frame rate (160x120 and 15-24 fp would be enough) with GPRS technology? I have read manual of Telit GM82 GSM Module, but I don't exactly know how connection is made. There i something called "Easy GPRS", which implements TCP/IP stack in module an allows connecting and sending raw data to host in the Internet. But i that case, connection would look like this: video camera -> microcontroller -> GSM module -> GPRS/Internet cloud - Server -> Mobile/PDA I'd prefer point-to-point connection between microcontroller and mobile but have no idea if it's possible at all. If the server is essential, wha about software? Do I have to write my own streaming software?

Thanks for any help! Martin - snipped-for-privacy@wp.pl

Reply to
Rakietka

The short answer to this is: No. In ideal theoretical conditions, it might work, but in practical terms nobody will ever be in those conditions. Even EDGE won't support it in a realistic environment. You can do still images, infrequently, and that's about it.

You may need to work with the carrier on this. In many cases, at least in North America, most TCP/IP ports are blocked and destination addresses filtered because the carrier wants to force users to go through their custom portals to all content. (E.g. you might be able to get to eBay, which has an agreement with your carrier, but not Craigslist, which doesn't).

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for your reply. How about HSDPA? There is new module from Telit UC864. The maximum upload speed is about 370 kbps as far as I remember.

Reply to
Rakietka

Definitely achievable over this network. Check coverage in your target market though.

Reply to
larwe