Cheap GPRS module

Hi

Can anyone recommend a cheap GPRS module which has supercap or battery to allow for low average power?

Furthermore, if I design it myself, what transceiver IC is the best to use (cheap also)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

This one is nice:

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

We've used Simcom SIM900A, but moved to UMTS/3G and LTE, since many operators will be shutting down their GSM/GPRS network during the lifetime of our products.

The peaks of GPRS are quite high (up to 2.2A on our current module) and even the average can be 210mA with our current module, using 1Tx/4Rx slots. The Connection setup + transfer in a bad RF environment and network can take up to 45s in our case, so supercaps won't cut it.

If you're planning on less than 100k devices per year, I'd warmly recommend using modules. I've heard development+certification costs of

500k for chip-based approach. We gladly outsource the pain and support to module manufacturers.
--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to